Workshop Layout

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
I've spent today clearing a space for my new saw :D arriving tomorrow. It's about 5' by 3' which will take up quite a chunk of space in my single garage. What I can't decide is how to arrange everything in the space I have. I know that everyone will be different so I'm not asking for the 'best' way of arranging everything, I'm just keen to see how other single garage wworkers organise their space.
I've got to fit in ts, pt, bsaw, 'rat and a 5 by 3 bench (preferably 2 - they came from the school I work at and it would be a shame to have to get rid of one). The saw will be on a wheel base, as is the bsaw. The pt is on a workmate which is on a wheeled base too, though it's currently much too high to use safely.
Anyone have any tips?
Thanks
Stewart

Hi Stewart,

You could draw a scaled drawing on a program like CorelDraw or Sketchup of your workshop and machines and plan it that way but I think the best method is just going to the workshop and trying different layouts until you're happy. The key is don't bolt anything down.

You might not believe it in such a small space but this was the last of about 5 layout changes in my old workshop:

02.jpg

You might get some ideas in the gallery: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/gallery/cat ... p?cat_id=2

thanks for the replies - i'll check the gallery out.
My garage is 16' by 8'

Stewart

wow charley - nice new workshop! if i could just persuade the family to move out of the house and into the garage....dare to dream, eh? :wink:
stewart

Stewart,

You already have the right idea with mobile bases. The next step in space saving is to put your machines on cabinets you makes to store stuff, thus freeing up the space formerly occupied by whatever you put in the cabinets. Charley's router table for example appears to be hogging some prime real estate. It looks as though there is lots of room under it with the right enclosure - for his dehumidifier(?) for example.

Also remember that drawers are generally much more efficient storage than open shelves - and stuff stays much less dusty.

hi stuart. It is always a problem laying out a singe garage workshop. Im now on my second one and I have alwyas found the tablesaw to be the major issue.
The length is ideal at around 17' but with only 8'of width, it makes using the tablesaw atricky thing at times. the bench takes up 2-3'of width and if thats sited in the middle of the shop it all but removes the space required to operate the saw freely and then of course you have all the other things to consider like planer/thicknesser, bandsaw, dust extraction storage etc etc.
I have found theonly way really is to put mobile bases on the large stuff and wheel them outside for most jobs. If you click the link below you will see my single garage layout and hopefully it will show you what I mean about working space for big equipment. http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

beejay

beejay":2u8vybft said:
If you click the link below you will see my single garage layout and hopefully it will show you what I mean about working space for big equipment. http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

beejay

Heebey Jeebies, you must have the cleanest workshop ever. I don't keep my house that tidy :oops:

Adam

Beejay
Great workshop and ingenious use of space.
I like your RAS hood. Why can't I ever get round to building stuff like that? :-k
Nice bench too! I'd be worried about using it though :wink: Might mess up that lovely finish on the top :oops:

beejay, excellent use of space. How have you found the Microclene, is it as good as they claim?

Regards

Woody

Woodythepecker":42nbbmnk said:
beejay, excellent use of space. How have you found the Microclene, is it as good as they claim?

RegardsWoody

Hi woody hope you now see the potential problems thrown up with an 8' wide garage.
Before I had the microclene everything got covered in that fine layer of dust were all familiar with but now, the day after a session with the saws etc the surfaces are much clearer so yes it does work. I normally switch it on a few minutes before I start and leave it on for an hour afterwards to draw all the airborne dust and that seems to do the trick. I was advised to go for that model rather than the smaller one(sales pitch probably) but I'm very pleased with it.
Good luck with the refit, look forward to seeing the outcome. Just one final point, if your not going to use the large garage door,( I dont) make sure that you will be able to get equipment through the other one.

Apologies, I thought I was replying to woody as the refitter,,silly me,, but hopefully the info will be of use to stuart.
beejay

Charley's router table for example appears to be hogging some prime real estate. It looks as though there is lots of room under it with the right enclosure - for his dehumidifier(?) for example.
Actually I had my hoover/vac stored under the router table :wink: I tried the dehumidifier but couldn't get access to empty it

Nice workshop beejay 8)

A lovely workshop beejay
it's given me plenty to think about and I'm sure i'll use some of your ideas to fit out my workshop. I think I'm having a bit of a problem deciding how to arrange things because one wall is half taken up with wood storage - just have to get on and make things!
My next workshop concerns are getting the window replaced - it had a lovely crittle (?) window which was past restoring. The previous owners had boarded the window up for security purposes. It made it rather dark in there. A few weekends ago while wondering how easy it would be to remove the window I found myself with a crowbar in one hand and a hacksaw in the other and 10 minutes later no window - only problem is I don't have another window yet to put in the gap! It was fine when we had that lovely hot weather recently - the last few days rain and drizzle have not been so good.

Also, now I have a lovely lump of cast iron in the workshop I want to minimise the chances for it to get damp in there. I'm trying out an oil filled radiator on a thermostat. would help if I had a thermometer - i'll have to get one tomorrow.

got a bit rambling now, sorry everyone :oops:

stewart

Charley":3m7bdhc3 said:
I tried the dehumidifier but couldn't get access to empty it

Charley,
That is what I meant by the "right enclosure" - it needs to be something that works with what you need to do. Still I guess for the while at least, space constriction is not on your list of worries! :)

I just looked at that grizzly site and cant see the sense of using a computer to plan the layout.
I use the same method I have used for both office, home and factory layouts for over 40 years.
Graph paper with paper cutouts representing everything to be fitted in the space, including door and cabinet opening arcs.
I wish I could still get graph paper in 12 grid graduations to make it easier to work in feet and inches.
Now, it's all 10 grid which is great for those working in metric but useless for us old ones still using imperial for everything. ;)

Latest posts

Back