Workshop layout help/advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my workshop built earlier this year - while some thought it was overkill, I really thought through sockets and put in many more than most would... In the last 6 months the vast majority have been used at some point. Various bits that have worked:
- some plugs on each wall with a USB output
- several circuits - so I have a white circuit that is always on (useful for the music / air filter / etc.) and a red circuit for anything which has spinning metal bits - and that has an additional isolator - if we have friends with children over the whole workshop can be turned off with one switch - no checking that you haven't left a particular machine on... and yet the air filtration etc. continues to work. (we also have a blue circuit for fridges and freezers, just because we could!)
- several outside sockets on front and side of the building (front is onto the front drive and side is onto the back garden) - highly used.

2021-04-09 16.29.50.jpg

2021-04-09 23.24.36-1.jpg

With plastic sockets next to a workbench there is potential to smash the fronts all to easily, personally I would have used metal back boxes with threaded couplings and bushes, you could then use plain metal clad fronts and kept the reds.

With plastic sockets next to a workbench there is potential to smash the fronts all to easily, personally I would have used metal back boxes with threaded couplings and bushes, you could then use plain metal clad fronts and kept the reds.
Possibly - but have never smashed a socket in my life and can't envisage a time when I might...
If I do they are cheap as chips to replace and certainly the overall cost of installation was therefore much lower...

I have seen many and even in a house where you would not use metal clad kids have managed to crack them with toys etc so much more vunerable in the workshop enviroment, but then I am governed by the regs so have to work to 7671.

have never smashed a socket in my life - Obviously not trying hard enough in the workshop - I managed to break one at the weekend and it wasn't the first!

I would have a method of turning all the electrics on/off as you leave but leave these thing you may need on when you’re not there eg heating, dehumidifie, air cleaner, alarm.

I would have a method of turning all the electrics on/off as you leave but leave these thing you may need on when you’re not there eg heating, dehumidifie, air cleaner, alarm.
That is exactly what my multiple circuits and isolator switch is set up to do…

I would swop your tool chest and the extractor. That way you have your tools by the bench and the extractor emptying is by the door, possibly with more space. Bandsaw in the middle of teh end wall so it can be used without moving. Do you have enough room to reposition your pillar drill onto the long wall where the two 16 amp sockets are as this would give you more space around the bandsaw. Router table same height of lower than bandsaw as it is easier to move around and can be pulled out for use but left in situ when using the bandsaw.
Hope your kit isnt too heavy as you will probably move it around a couple of times
I have just gone through this process but all of mine is cast iron 250 to 500Kg each machine

I have built my own workshop in my garden and have just booked in the electrics to be wired in on the 24th november.

Im just writing this post to just get peoples advice on what they think the best layout would be before i commint100%to the plug points.

The inside dimensions are 3.1 x 5.2 meters. My list of equipment is as follows

Record power BS400 floor standing band saw
UJK Router table from axminster
AXMINSTER TRADE AT260SPT SPIRAL PLANER THICKNESSER
AXMINSTER TRADE AT540PD FLOOR PILLAR DRILL
Laguna fusion 3 table saw (will be purchasing soon when complete)
Laguna cyclone dust extractor (will be purchaisng soon when complete)
Excalibur 21" scroll saw (not to worried about this as will squeeze in where i can at the end)
Tool chest (about 6ft tall nearly)
Evolution sliding compound mitre saw

I should add that all floor standing machines will be on mobile bases eventually, including the outfeed bench.

I will be having a bench at one end and bench to act as an outfeed table for the table saw and extra workspace.

I will include pictures of the inside of the build currently and also a layout I created so you can all see what I have come up with. Then feel free to give advice on what you think?

Im having four downlights outside under the canopy overhang. 8 downlights on the inside. 3 16 amp sockets and 5 double standard sockets. These sockets are pin pointed on the layout.

Thanks for reading and I look froward to your thoughts and opinions

View attachment 121303View attachment 121304View attachment 121305View attachment 121307

I noticed your list of machines of which I have many so maybe I can offer some usable advice, firstly the record power bs400? I had this bandsaw and i have to say i was dissapointed because i found it incredibly difficult to get it to cut straight, in the end i sold it on and purchased the sabre 350, in my opinion a much better saw, the Laguna is a great saw, very please with it so far, a soft start on the big 3 would make it a near perfect saw! Anyways my shop is about 16ft by 16.6ft and I use ever inch, remember mate to value an assembly area, I love my machines but as a cabinet maker I really value the assembly area, in early days my machines took priority but the assembly area now really plays a huge roll. I will try and add photos, louie

I have built my own workshop in my garden and have just booked in the electrics to be wired in on the 24th november.

Im just writing this post to just get peoples advice on what they think the best layout would be before i commint100%to the plug points.

The inside dimensions are 3.1 x 5.2 meters. My list of equipment is as follows

Record power BS400 floor standing band saw
UJK Router table from axminster
AXMINSTER TRADE AT260SPT SPIRAL PLANER THICKNESSER
AXMINSTER TRADE AT540PD FLOOR PILLAR DRILL
Laguna fusion 3 table saw (will be purchasing soon when complete)
Laguna cyclone dust extractor (will be purchaisng soon when complete)
Excalibur 21" scroll saw (not to worried about this as will squeeze in where i can at the end)
Tool chest (about 6ft tall nearly)
Evolution sliding compound mitre saw

I should add that all floor standing machines will be on mobile bases eventually, including the outfeed bench.

I will be having a bench at one end and bench to act as an outfeed table for the table saw and extra workspace.

I will include pictures of the inside of the build currently and also a layout I created so you can all see what I have come up with. Then feel free to give advice on what you think?

Im having four downlights outside under the canopy overhang. 8 downlights on the inside. 3 16 amp sockets and 5 double standard sockets. These sockets are pin pointed on the layout.

Thanks for reading and I look froward to your thoughts and opinions

View attachment 121303View attachment 121304View attachment 121305View attachment 121307
Hi Rob,
I haven’t read all the other comments, I’m pretty sure they gave you some good solid advice. I might be repeating what’s been said but here goes.
1) you don’t have enough sockets on the walls. You need to have at least 4 doubles on the longer walls and three on the side wall. This may sound excessive but I can assure you that it’s not. As you slowly start using your workshop you will find that you will end up with more equipment like spotlights, hand power tools and even a computer and printer. You will definitely end up moving machinery around to create a natural workflow environment a couple of times as you find the feel of your workspace.
2) you will need power brought up through the floor to the centre of the the room/ main workbench. Definitely install power sockets overhead above the bench as well.
3) If you have or are going to have Wi-Fi, which I think is essential in this day and age. This gives you the opportunity to install a smart TV & Alexa right at your fingertips to use as and when for the likes of YouTube videos, plans and ideas.
4) you might also seriously think about replacing your standard sockets with Smart sockets which are not expensive at all and this will effectively give you a whole smart workshop and run by Alexa. ie….. Alexa turn on the power to extraction, tablesaw, light, tv and so on.
5) I noticed you didn’t include a space for a sink. If you can install one at all then I would also make sure that you do so. It’s an essential part of any workshop and you will find it invaluable.
I hope that at the very least, I’ve given you some stuff to seriously think about and make your workshop somewhere easier and more enjoyable to work in.
Good luck with your project and I and am sure everyone else will look forward to to seeing more pictures when it’s finished.
Kindest regards,
Joe

Always remember that you can do as much planning as possible but if you've had no prior experience of assembling a workshop accept the fact that you will potentially have to alter certain things. But thinking about workflows etc are a good base but having the main bits like sockets etc located all around so that when you find a better way its not to much trouble changing the layout. Embrace the Kaizen.

Latest posts

Back