Workshop insurance !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pswallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am currently building A timber frame workshop and as there will be at least several thousand pounds worth of tools and equipment in it I am considering taking out insurance on it. I'm not sure what kind of policy would cover this as I live in A rented property and the workshop is in the grounds of the property.The grounds and the property belong to A good friend who has given me permission for the build.I do have A shed that some of my tools were stored in on the same grounds and I know that the shed was covered by the household policy but I am assuming that A workshop may be A different matter.
Can anyone advise me in any way?. . . do I estimate what the equipment is new should I need to replace it if stolen or destroyed by fire say?,should I buy A policy to cover me working in the workshop? . .I know these details can be discussed with the insurance broker but as I only do this as A hobby I would like to know do other guys out there insure their workshops . Any advise ??? Thanks, Phil.

Some household policies will cover the value of your tools and machinery in outbuildings if they are for hobby use but check with your current insurer for home contents. You may have to specify high value items and it may increase your policy costs. I would expect you would need separate insurance if the workshop was used for a trade.

In any case, spend some time one day taking pictures of everything to prove possession of them. You will be thankful if you do need to make a claim, particularly those bits that you have had for years, may have bought secondhand, or chucked the box etc. It also helps, if you were ever cleared out, to make the list of what was taken, because when you have to do it, it is easy to forget things that you only realise were taken 6 months later when you come to use it.

Back