Workshop insulation options (keeping costs down)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting some proper heating into my garage. The building itself is single block construction with an exterior breathable membrane and feather edge cladding arrangement.

My original plan is to batten the interior with 2" * 2" with 50mm celotex between the battens and to then cover the celotex with 12.5mm plaster board. I was also going to put 50mm celotex bewteen the ceiling joists and plaster board.

For the whole job material costs are £512!

14 sheets celotex
18 sheets plasterboard
112m 2" * 2" plasterboard

The celotex is what bumps the price up and the best I can find for 8' * 4' * 50mm sheets is from my local Travis Perkins - £15.73 a sheet.

Anyone have any cheaper options ?

I did also contemplate just boarding the ceiling and forgetting about the walls, but was unsure whether I will lose lots of heat and in the end it will be cost inefficient to do that ?

Thanks

How about using cavity batts, they are fairly ridged so should stand up between the 2x2.

1 thing to think about is that 2" celotex is roughly equivilent to 4" of glass wool insulation, so although it`s dearer it is giving better insulation per inch thickness.

Cheers,

Have a look at secondsandco.co.uk for seconds sheet insulation. I have used them and am happy to recommend them. Their stock varies depending on whats currently available as a second.

Steve

flanajb":1vovgqgc said:
I am in the process of getting some proper heating into my garage. The building itself is single block construction with an exterior breathable membrane and feather edge cladding arrangement.

My original plan is to batten the interior with 2" * 2" with 50mm celotex between the battens and to then cover the celotex with 12.5mm plaster board. I was also going to put 50mm celotex bewteen the ceiling joists and plaster board.

14 sheets celotex
18 sheets plasterboard

The celotex is what bumps the price up and the best I can find for 8' * 4' * 50mm sheets is from my local Travis Perkins - £15.73 a sheet.

I did also contemplate just boarding the ceiling and forgetting about the walls, but was unsure whether I will lose lots of heat and in the end it will be cost inefficient to do that ?

Thanks

Take some photos of where the battens are before you put the plasterboard on. That way you will know where to put the screws in that hold your cupboards up!

RogerS":2oqhvzrt said:
flanajb":2oqhvzrt said:

14 sheets celotex
18 sheets plasterboard

Thanks

Take some photos of where the battens are before you put the plasterboard on. That way you will know where to put the screws in that hold your cupboards up!

Or put a horizontal 4 x 2 noggings in on edge in at 870 mm centres off the floor to fasten floor cupboards and another set somewhere further up to fasten wall cupboards too.

For the extra cost you might as well do it while you have got the walls open.

Tom

Use 11mm OSB instead of plasterboard then you can fix any place forget the battens and fix the osb with 100mm masonry screws stagger all joints vertical and horizontal
Overall the osb and continuous insulation make a much better job

Back