Workshop hire-out cost?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partsandlabour

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all.

I'm due to be away for 4 weeks in July/August. A company has asked to hire my workshop while I'm away and set two joiners away in here (I know and trust them both).

The question is, how much to charge for such a thing?

Monthly w/shop rent to me is £1000 inc VAT
Plus around £150 in bills/insurance

15m x 7.5m workspace. Toilet and canteen facillities outside of this space. Large roller shutter. Great location for supplies and transport.

Compliant machines:

Wadkin AGS 10 table saw
Startrie Bandsaw
Wadkin 35 BRA radial arm

Dust extraction
Large HEPA air filter

Others:
Mortiser
Drill press
Kity PT
Large compressor and air tools

Stacks of clamps, power and hand tools. All Festool / Makita

9m x 1.5m table in the middle.

Anyone else ever done this? Any steers would be appreciated!!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Initial thoughts, fairly obvious you have a working relationship with the company so you have to be realistic.
Are you going to be able to get them out again when you get back? – Slightly tongue in cheek.
I have often thought about doing the same thing, my workshop is just a fraction smaller than yours and with similar but not quite so good equipment. I’m lucky in that I own the building and so just pay ground rent. I was away for six months last year.
I suppose in some ways you would just be happy to get your overheads covered whilst you are away, so probably that and a consideration for wear and tear – especially as you know the people.
It may be prudent to check your insurance for this change of circumstances. Best of luck Ian

What happens when tools get broken???

Don't forget wear and tear blades, etc.

I'd suggest doubling your rent just for the hassle.

No idea tbh!

Cheers James

Get some form of contract in writing - even if it's not legal it means people take more notice.

And consider your risk.....what happens if they have a nasty accident on your machines, or what happens if they burn the place down......could you be sued, would you be covered.

I know it's unlikely........

Thanks for the replies folks. There will definitley be something contractual and the insurance side will be sorted.

@adidat .. Yes! The table to a bit ridiculous, but also pretty handy. I can break it down fairly easilly but I have a semi-regular job that requires set up on a level bench of this size.

Back