Workshop heating

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cough, Cough!

No I'm fine and so is the workshop. I lit it this morning and left some wood dust on it which smoked a bit and eventually charred. I also put an oak offcut on the lid which also charred but didn't burst into flame.

This is obviously not a recommended practise nor particularly encompassing.

It maybe worth noting that although I have a wooden floor in the workshop, the stove stands on a concrete flagstone to prevent anything from hitting the floorboards if its smouldering. I also have a piece of plasterboard covered in aluminium foil behind it leaning against the wall to reflect heat and protect the wall and a wire conduit that runs just above floor level.

Its been in for nearly 18months now and it does get properly cranked up on occasions but i've still been able to put my hand on the wall behind the foil board and find that its not much more than room temp. The dog's workshop bed is within 2 feet of it and it gets the full on labrador vote.

Waka, I'll take a photo later if that helps.

Cheers

Tim

A commercial chap I know had to build a small brick wall a foot or so either side to ensure nothing "could" fall on it, or be placed to close. The requirement was by his insurance company.

Adam

Waka

As requested:

DSCF0002_002.jpg

Workshop was 70deg when I took photo this afternoon. Thermometer is the other side of the workshop. This is the R2 model. Tigger is approximately 400mm away - she would get closer but she can't move the basket!!

Cheers

Tim

Thanks for the test Tim and im glad all is ok . I spoke to the company today and they said Dust isn't a problem but as you have just said it did char . My workshop gets very dusty at times especially if sanding or cutting MDF. This does concern me if i've had a day building wardrobes from MDF then leave the workshop for the night with the dust settling on the unit .I suppose a smaller extractor to plug onto my sanders etc would cut the dust down but i get fed up with the tools lead so an extractor hose also would surly drive me mad .
Still if it keeps me warm then its got to happen .
Anyone want to swap a small extractor for a startrite very big extractor ? :lol:

Waka
619497256d8f736327177742d92591dd0fb9a7d7cc1d862a84306843.jpg

103927714546c18b2c7ff0d14533520770c2cf32f6af30c2f29e7124.jpg

997729287037f1b5990c6409e1c07a2b0512098bf444c5846a5c68e0.jpg

The stove is set on a 2ft square paver, anything outside of the paver does not get hot enough to burst into flames.

The cutout through the roof felt is about 2inches bigger than the flue no problems there either.

You can see the offcuts drying by the side of the stove

Les

got the boxwood deluxe myself from machine mart
have had them for the last 10/12yrs , all three of them in fact
but will definitely be looking at the R2 in future
regards
mel

Simon - What a brilliant idea, :) as I said earlier I don't burn sawdust right now 'cos my stove is front loading, I can get one metre logs in but not loose sawdust. Your idea means I'll be able to burn this as well and I think I might use them when the stove is up to temp. and wood burns quickly, the sawdust should burn slower shouldn't it :?:

Losos,

The sawdust doesn't really burn slowly i'm afraid because it will still be fairly loose, but with a front loading stove it's the best way to get it in there. I still remember those science classes at school where they showed what happens to fine dust in suspension when a flame gets near it, so I've never been comfortable with the idea of shovelling it in.

I tried something new this week,home made fire-lighters. A couple of months ago I used quite a lot of chemical paint stripper and rather than throw all of the scrapings away I mixed a small quantity with a large quantity of sawdust. then when it was nearly dry filled the toilet rolls (the dust compacts much more) then stored them in a metal box outside. Used two of them this morning, with a couple of twigs to start the fire. They make really good briquettes. It was an interesting experiment but not really necessary if you have sufficient kindling and I suspect you're in the same position as me, surrounded by woodland.

I wish I could get 1m logs on the fire, it would save a hell of alot of work but the biggest I can manage is 50cm. Your stove must kick out a frightening number of Kw/BTU. :shock:

cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon - Oh dear disaster approaches :!: I told SWMBO about the toilet / kitchen roll idea and she immediately suggested I start cutting up all the redundant cardboard boxes and making rolls out of them :( I don't mind shuving sawdust into ready made tubes but I think the time and effort of making them wouldn't be worth it, but if i want a quiet life I suppose I shall have to do a few token ones :wink:

Yes, if i really load up the stove it seems to put out a huge amount of heat. Let's put it this way, I initially began by drying pieces of timber on top but after one piece (about 35mm x 20mm) went black and then self ignited I dont't do that any more :oops: I've no idea how much in Kw it could generate but even with minus ten C outside I find I don't need to load it up to the hilt :!:

As I said before I do feel it's very important to sweep up before leaving the shop and to close all air inlet flaps.

Back