Workshop Heater

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
This warm weather has prompted me to replace the flue on the workshop stove. It's a Relax 3 and originally I used their galvanized flue, but there are that many holes in it now, the fire probably burn :( I only got about 2 years out of that flue and would prefer an alternative to what The hotspot sell. I was thinking of some 5" spiral ducting which would probably last as long but is a fraction of the price.
Any other ideas??

Philip

PJ... you might get more life from stainless steel... more expensive in the short term.. but factor in its longevity and it might be the cheapest option...

PJ,

The traditional flue for a wood burner is cast iron :D on my stove I have cast iron that goes into stainless just before it goes through the wall. It don't look pretty but the whole flue acts like a radiator. 8)

The best modern solution is double wall stainless with insulation in the gap, costs a lot but it will last for ever. :shock: You need this if the flue goes up though a floor and a room above the stove.

Philip,

I have a Relax stove in my workshop. Bought it about 4 years ago and at the time my supplier recommended I go for a stainless steel flue, rather than the Relax galvanised 'tin' stuff. I have single skin s/s as it goes through the wall, just below ceiling level, into an outside chimney. There is a fair bit of radiated heat from the flue and I recommend it. A bit more expensive than the galvanised, but not horrendously so. Four years on, apart from the expected discolouration (bit like a motorbike exhaust pipe!) it's still as good as new.

Cheers,

Trev.

PJ, I put in a stainless steel flue, Selkirk brand/type, about 11 years ago for the oil fired cooker. It runs up through the house and there's about 15' exposed on the roof. Bit of discolouration, but not much considering the weather in this part of the world, as you may have noticed......
It's not cheap although I guess for the bore you need it mightn't work out so bad.

Noel

I got prices for some class 1 flue which are actually quite reasonable, and along with a length of vitreous enameled flue will probably sort the problem out for good.

Thanks for the advice

Philip

Philip,

I'm sure you've already thought about this and Trev has mentioned it - the Relax stoves are designed to emit a considerable amount of their heat from the flue inside the room. If you get an insulated one or double sleeve etc then you may find its effectiveness much reduced.

Cheers

Tim

Whose wondering if he turns the flue upside down whether it will reduce the workshop temp from 36 deg to something normal! :shock:

Tim,

If it works, let me know and I'll install a stove to keep me cool in the summer... 39°C in there today - with the doors open. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Back