Workshop heater to recommend ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some bloak

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a workshop heater powered by diesel or kerosene. These would be the ideal fuels for me as I’ve got red diesel and heating oil available at bulk prices around here. Doesn’t need a massive output as the more I work my way through converting the outbuilding and insulating it the better it will be. Very cold to be working in a stone outbuilding at this time of year though, but it’s an excellent opportunity to get stuck in out there and avoid as much of the Christmas hullabaloo as possible. Workshop is 20 ft x 15ft with about a 12ft ceiling height. Many thanks for any experience or recommendations on this type of heater.

Burning liquid (or gaseous) fuel creates loads of water vapour so any heater you use needs to have a flue to the outside air but also be very efficient at extracting the heat from the flue gasses. If you can blag a second hand condensing oil boiler and a couple of radiators to could knock something up cheaply to use your low cost fuel.

Fit a caravan heater. These are ducted inlet and exhaust so combustion products don't enter your workshop environment - avoids the moisturise issue with combustion heaters. I wrote a review on mine a while ago, they're widely available on eBay and not expensive.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Would they be good enough to heat up a workshop 17 x 17 feet ? And if so would there be any fumes ? Can you purchase a 240 v machine instead of the 12 v ? Mock

Depending on which model you buy, yes. AFAIK, they only come in 12 or 24v versions and startup current is high so a small power supply wouldn't work. Most workshop users appear to power via 12v car battery and mains charger. My 4kw Eberspacher used to heat our 38ft boat OK in UK winters and home 17' x 14' workshop is heated by a 2 kw fan heater which, once warm, I drop to 1 kw. Lots of Chinese heater users around on boat and motor home forums including Facebook so most questions will be answered there.

Would these work using domestic kerosene ie normal heating oil? Having a separate diesel tank would be a pain and expensive but taking a feed off the oil tank at 50p litre would be quite attractive.

Edit: just read the links and yes the Chinese versions will run on kerosene but the Russian versions won’t.

RichardG":2u4krfou said:
Would these work using domestic kerosene ie normal heating oil? Having a separate diesel tank would be a pain and expensive but taking a feed off the oil tank at 50p litre would be quite attractive.

Edit: just read the links and yes the Chinese versions will run on kerosene but the Russian versions won’t.

If you want to save a bit more cash, charge the battery via solar which has drastically reduced in price.

mock":3a0gcxtb said:
Would they be good enough to heat up a workshop 17 x 17 feet ? And if so would there be any fumes ? Can you purchase a 240 v machine instead of the 12 v ? Mock
I heat my garage of comparable size with an 8kW unit, once up to temperature it maintains that easily mostly idling (these units have thermostatic control and switch between two output settings). The fumes are all vented through an exhaust which you stick outside. They are all 12v I think (possibly some 24v) as the main application is in vehicles, but they run quite happily on a small transformer you might use for LEDs, laptops and the like. I run mine on kerosene and it works a charm - it's a lighter fuel than diesel so burns cleaner, although a properly functioning unit shouldn't coke up on diesel either.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Back