Workshop/Garage Cabinet Material

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryHL

Reaction score
Hi all,

Previously my go-to material would have been Birch Ply for affordable, aesthetic, and strong cabinets for the garage.

Current prices start to rule that out.

What are you all now using instead?
- MDF / MRMDF?
- OSB? But not sure how strong this would be for cabinets
- WISA Spruce

I'm leaning towards OSB, with some cheap redwood to act as a faceframe and prevent chip out. Price being a main driver here, but the material contrast could also look good. Not seen this done much though, so hesistant. Any thoughts?

I think my main concern with a garage is the likelihood of condensation and the general moisture levels especially in winter . That said I’m not a fan of osb in any form and pretty much the same as mdf . My choice would be general purpose ply but completely understand regarding the cost . I suppose the remaining choice would be MR MDf- I’d certainly seal it all round especially any cut edges . I actually used MDf in my workshop but it’s a converted bedroom with no damp issues. 18 mm for the sides and 36mm for the tops -2x 18 mm . Timber costs are astronomical atm so you have to go with what your pocket can manage-

There's something about mdf that always depresses me and the less I see of it the better. It's wood that has been brutalised almost out of existence. But if you can keep it more or less out of sight ...

Trouble with osb is the texture's a bit rugged and a bit of a grubbiness trap ....

Many people have said on here before about using B&Q / Ikea kitchen cabinets as the most cost effective option. You could make your own face frames and drawers.

If you look on Facebook Marketplace / freecycle etc. you might even find some used ones going for free

Many people have said on here before about using B&Q / Ikea kitchen cabinets as the most cost effective option. You could make your own face frames and drawers.

If you look on Facebook Marketplace / freecycle etc. you might even find some used ones going for free

Beat me to it - or better still look out for someone taking out a kitchen (ask at kitchen fitting buisnesses?) - my own workshop is a range of "uppers" and a couple of "lowers" from a friend's kitchen, plus a custom made bench with MFT.

I went round in circles on this and eventually bought decent cabinets…
0F6A179A-9A81-4339-B5BD-4EC490C71161.jpeg

Back