Workshop flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt99

Reaction score
Looking for thoughts on laminate flooring over workshop osb base floor

Good or bad idea?

I have a wood floor, probs a similar finish to laminate. Can be a skating rink with fine dust, bit never caused me an issue. In a pro shop I’d avoid in a hobby shop it’s personal preference, personal I like the floor appearance enough to manage the dust/skating issues!
8157CED6-51B0-4FB2-A7F5-8B52EEA7FEF9.jpeg

I have a laminate sawdust skating rink. I did try carpet on top, but it tended to reeve up in front of castors acting as a brake & collects too much dust/chips. It's been down for at least 10 yrs & now has various paint, glue etc splashes which tend to reduce the slipperyness. Any thoughts on a coat of floor paint, anybody?

I’ve got bare chipboard flooring while I decide on a long-term finish.
Did wonder about a carpet off cut.
Has anyone tried any interlocking floor tiles? They seem rather expensive - are they worth it?

Has anyone tried any interlocking floor tiles? They seem rather expensive - are they worth it?

Yep - I have "studded" style interlocking plastic tiles - admittedly it's only about 2/3 of a garage and I got them for nothing when the bike shop I managed closed down - we had them in the workshop area and they worked well, with grease and other muck easy to clean - and non-slip with sawdust. They are also more comfortable on the feet than the bare (painted) concrete in the remainder of the garage.

Beware - some of the interlocking tiles sold on ebay and elsewhere are material like a wetsuit, a sort of slightly harder neoprene .... rubbish, at least the ones I have seen. Mine are quite hard plastic (probably recycled?) and have to be cut with a saw.

I did consider them but it would cost over £700. Might stick with the osb whilst I decide

If your floor is pretty good then consider used carpet tiles from the bay, they are usually ex offices and come in various grades so if you don't mind coffee spills and wear and not fussy about colour or pattern they are pretty good for this task. Spray glue them down and they do the job, don't wrinkle as you move stuff around - but if one did dislodge then spray glue it down again.

You could use stable/cow matting. Rubber like, you can flip it over (ribbed one side and pimples the other). Not cheap but thick and durable

Forbo make Flotex Carpet. It comes in 2mtr wide rolls and is very durable. You can remove most things from it including oil and paint with a scraper while it's still wet. Reasonably priced too.

Back