Workshop flooring ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly different setting as I have a single brick garage with concrete floor, but
I tried the cheap soft foam anti fatigue mats that come as 2' square tiles and interlock together. Warm and comfortable but poor durability.
Heavier (4-5mm ?) rubber mats sold at Costco for folk wanting to use their garage as a gym have proved to be very much tougher and still better than concrete to stand on.

Slightly different setting as I have a single brick garage with concrete floor, but
I tried the cheap soft foam anti fatigue mats that come as 2' square tiles and interlock together. Warm and comfortable but poor durability.
Heavier (4-5mm ?) rubber mats sold at Costco for folk wanting to use their garage as a gym have proved to be very much tougher and still better than concrete to stand on.

I was looking at gym type mats. There were some I found that were really decent ones for garage type lay outs but they were way too expensive lol. What are your thoughts on putting lino down?

Having the chipboard floating is a normal building detail, is surprising how firm it feels. I toyed with the idea of battens but I'm expecting the weight of benches & equipment to further improve how firm it feels.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I can imagine when all benhces and machinery is on top it will aint going to go anywhere lol. Im stuck really for what to put on top of the chipboard now though. Im edging between rubber sheet flooring or lino. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks

@Hornbeam

Hi Ian

It stays nice and flat once its down, takes a week to sort of settle after its been rolled up but I dont have any edges curling up or anything, its surprisingly heavy.
I have the fine ribbed version but I actually put it upside down so the flat side is up which makes it easier to vacuum.

Ollie

Hi Ollie. Have you got a link to this rubber flooring you boughts. Im thinking about putting it down on top of 22mm waterproof chipboard. You said you had smooth side facing up. Is it not slippy as I assume the ribbed side is there for grip purposes. Just a couple more questions? Did you secure it down any way or just roll it out and let it flatten out? If I was to have the ribbed side up (the one I have seen looks like it isnt the fine ribbed version) would it make it more hard for me to move my machines around on castors you reckon or should it be ok? Thanks again, Rob

@Rob Cheetham

Hi, I bought it from eBay they were called rubber4you or something, they proclaim to be the cheapest on ebay and actually we're.
The smooth side is not completely smooth, it has a fine texture like its been moulded on cloth or something.
I haven't secured it down as it is pretty heavy and just stays put. The centre of the roll took a few days to flatten but its dead flat after.
I don't roll my machines over it though but have it placed in front of or around them. If I need to move the machines I will move the mat out the way.
Because of the weight of machinery it will wrinkle up the rubber in front of the wheels and make it very hard to roll the machine.
Bigger wheels like 100mm are ok but little ones really hate it. Maybe if glued down over the entire floor might be different.

Ollie

Lino is good value and durable, but it doesn't appeal to me.
I prefer that the machines sit straight on the floor and mats used where they will save wear and tear. They are easily lifted if you need to move a machine, to clean up after a spill or if you need to lift part of the floor for inspection / maintenance.
If you needed a cheapish durable surface to board over your whole floor, high pressure laminate flooring for kitchens etc is very dense, incredibly wear resistant and must be available "on sale" somewhere.

I went for 22mm chipboard and Wickes laminate (+5mm foam underlay) over the top - very happy with it and great price.
Might do the rubber mats at some point.

Latest posts

Back