Workshop floor mat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
I've been spending more than usual time in the workshop recently. It has a bare concrete floor.

I've noticed a soreness in my feet and wonder what I should put on the floor to reduce wear and tear on my feet.

I use those interlocking foam squares in the places I stand. Front of the bench, the lathe and the drillpress. They are cheap and the best part light so easy to lift for sweeping up. I used to have some heavy duty workshop mats but but they were of a chore to drag around.
Good comfortable footware also helps.
Regards
John

I have some of these in my workshop covering most of the floor - they're "fitted" and just require a sweep now and again, or wipe up any spillages.

http://media.raleigh.co.uk/panda/xlarge/WORKTILE.jpg

They also come with a chamfered edge piece about 4" wide. Whilst they are pretty solid they do make standing on them for long period better than bare concrete.

• The tiles can be laid quickly and easily on any reasonably smooth and level concrete base creating ready-for-use, dust-free, anti-skid surfaces. No special preparation of the existing floor is required to remove blemishes like oil spatter, cracks and minor surface irregularities prior to laying the tiles.
  • The floor tiles are resistant to mechanical and chemical damage and tolerant of under-layer moisture.
  • Using interlocking tiles makes a floor easy to repair and even portable if need be.
  • Dimensions: 495 x 495 x 7mm
Usually to be found on ebay in some form or other.

The foam floor tiles are good and last anywhere from a year or so to a decade depending on how often you use the workshop and the type of work you do. Rubber anti fatigue mats are even better and last way longer (I have some that are over 10 years old and were second hand when I got them).

A cheap and cheerful option that works great is carpet swatches. They are between 2 and 3 feet square normally, edged nicely with a binder. Go to your local carpet showroom and ask if they have any they are throwing out, they almost always do as patterns, colours change all the time. If they don't and you are not in a rush, leave your number. If you do get some, trade for a pack of beer or something and you will always get new ones. They last for years and are super comfy and warm, if you drop an item it doesn't get damaged.
I have some extra thick axminster wool squares I got almost 15 years ago, they look dirty but they are still in excellent condition and very comfy.

A pair of shoes or boots with proper support and some cushioning (thick felt insoles) make huge difference. I worked on concrete floors most of my life and good footwear made all the difference in the world. Worn soles or soft runners make things worse as they put pressure where it hurts over time.

Feet don't like cheap!

Pete

Thank you all, for the suggestions, but the prize goes to Droogs,

Swmbo nipped into town and brought home two packs for me to try. Excellent value for money. They probably wont last for 10 years but the hot spots will be easily replaced.

A pair of shoes or boots with proper support and some cushioning (thick felt insoles) make huge difference. I worked on concrete floors most of my life and good footwear made all the difference in the world. Worn soles or soft runners make things worse as they put pressure where it hurts over time.

Feet don't like cheap!

Pete
Very good points, but finding footwear that fits has been the bane of my existence. To find a shoe that fits I would need a half inch removed from my big toe.
By the time I get a shoe that doesn't pinch my toe, there is enough room to put two fingers in beside it.

Latest posts

Back