Workshop extraction advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dissolve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm setting up a new home workshop . It's small/medium sized but I'm considering my options for extraction. I've purchased the Axminster RDC100H Vacuum Extractor for now which seems like it'll do what I want it to. But I had a few questions about rigging up wall mounted extraction ports.

The bandsaw I am getting has a 100mm port and my spindle sander accepts 38mm. So I was just wondering if 63mm tubing will suffice for my main extraction set up?

Rutlands have an offer for today on this kit:

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-&-p ... ection-kit

Which looks like it could be handy.. But I wondered if anyone has any tips on possible cheaper solutions? And also if 63mm tubing will provide enough suction for a bandsaw accepting a 100mm extraction hose?

Thanks

Stay with a wider hose as long as you can--get a reducer and attach it right at the machine. A wider hose has less resistance and you'll get better suction. Bandsaws often have poor dust collection setups, so keeping the airflow moving as well as possible is important. The wider hose really only presents a problem for hand-held machines like belt sanders.

Kirk

cheerup,

With your DC you are not quite there yet. Inside these "cans" is a filter covered by a paper bag. They work OK until the paper bag becomes clogged with fine dust OR just breaks up. At that point the internal fine filter gets clogged and you lose suction. You also probably lose interest as the paper bags cost a lot, the internal filters are also expensive.

Solution is to turn your "can" from a single stage DC to a two stage DC. This is done by adding a "separator|" between Dc and machine. You can buy one for £80 to £100 or make one from scraps. I use a self made Thein Separator ( see google). I have stacked mine so that the "can" is below tyhe separator and on castors.

Works well and can be cheap if your good at scrounging.

Al

You can use soil pipe (110mm) and associated connectors to make a cheap extraction route. Take the widest bore to the machine you can and then use a reducer to connect to the machine. You may find that the Axy vacuum isn't powerful enough to do a large system but as long as your keeping it fairly small you should be all right.

Thanks for the advice. thought it through and as the extractor will live ear the bandsaw anyways I'd be forever changing the hose onto the bandsaw so it would render the wall mounted extraction a bit pointless.

If I accumulate more machines that benefit from a fixed extraction system I'll deal with it at the time! thanks guys

I have a basic flexible hose setup with a camvac extractor and cyclone.
You will fine that your hose collects dust when you use a reducer to a smaller machine port and you can watch it clear magically when you remove the reducer and allow full airflow through the pipe!

I was watching it happen today when I was using my router which has a small (38mm?) port which I have to reduce down to from my 4" hose. I do it as close as I can but the dust collects and then when I removed the reduced section I watched it all swirl round the cyclone as the airflow was improved. I also have a spare hose as a breather port so the cyclone pressure switch doesn't blow.

Back