Workshop extension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I know it's hardly much of an increase in space, but I desperately need the space...

The increase is a miserly 8' x 3' but to me that's an increase in space of 30% - and I really do need the extra.

This is the little extension that held the dust extractor - this has now moved to the opposite side.

large.jpg

I've managed to rope in my mate Tom for the day. He worked harder than I did - not bad for a 69yr old :shock:

You can see the floor is down. It's 18mm WBP plywood resting on 2" square battons, every 8" or so. Each batton is sitting on a strip of roofing felt to provide some dampproofing.

large.jpg

Next stage is the stud wall. You can see it on the RHS of the picture.

large.jpg

I used underfelt on the outside of the studwall, before cladding with featheredge. This provides a level of dampproofing - draught exclusion - and insulation. I have also got the roof on here, although it's still only underfelt. I will use top-coat felt to provide an extra level of waterproofing. Unfortunately, I will have to tie it into the existing roof. I'm hoping my multilayers + cold bitumen will be sufficiently waterproof.

large.jpg

You can see here, I've now completed the frame of the rear door. This will allow access to the back alley if required, although it'll be bolted/screwed from the inside to maximise security. You can see the new position of the dust extractor "house" on the far left.

large.jpg

I've filled the gaps in the walls with 50mm polystyrene insulation (from wickes £5/sheet) and then boarded over with 18mm chipboard. Whenever I attach anything like shelves - I always screw through where their will be a stud behind. Although I've found chipboard to be surprisingly good for odd bits and bobs I just pop a screw/nail in, and then hang stuff on. When I built the original shed, I carried all the 8 x 4 sheets of plywood for the floor/inside etc in on my own. Due to my back injury, I've used either 1/2 or 1/4 size sheets. Much easier to carry!

large.jpg

I've slapped on two coats of white paint. It makes such a difference to the lighting to have the light reflected on the walls. I'm hoping it doesn't rain again tonight :shock:

large.jpg

The plan is to secure the back door, and then move the main door off and remount it in a single day, so that I maintain full security throughout the project. It'd have been quicker to dismantle the side at the start, but that would have left me vunreble to theft - so I'll dismantle the "inside" stud wall (the previous outer wall) once I'm all secure.

Adam

Hi Adam,

It's looking good (any space gained is better than none, I have to "escape" to the cellar).

How long did it take you and Tom to get this far?

Nice work Adam!
Any extra space is a bonus!
Bet the neighbors love those late night milling sessions, uh?
best regards
Philly :D
P.s. is Tom available on loan??? :lol:

waterhead37":7gozhffy said:
...if you need any extra pairs of hands...
:D How many extra pairs of hands do you have, Chris? :D

Good work Adam! The extra space will make a big difference.

Aragorn":3vtx1el9 said:
waterhead37":3vtx1el9 said:
:D How many extra pairs of hands do you have, Chris? :D
I bet he has a supplier for them somewhere in his list o' links...

Adam, looking good. You'll be able to turn round with your #7 in your hand without having to go out and come back in facing the other way now... :D

Cheers, Alf

waterhead37":3tztktyl said:

Damn, I never thought of advertising for assistance on here. Thankyou for your kind offer! I'm hoping to be all finished tomorrow unfortunately - the back door is secured - so only hanging the main door left to do - and I'll be reusing the "original" door. I'm hoping it'll be a simple job as I've already taken it off once so vaseline'd the bolts before rehanging the door knowing it would only be a few days before it got moved again. It's just a case of sawing off the angle on the top, making it a little narrower and on it goes.

I already have a spare flourescent light fitting - so that'll take a few minutes to wire up. And reconnect the dust extractor.

I'm itching to get back to doing some "real" projects...

Adam

Alf":20vm1skz said:
You'll be able to turn round with your #7 in your hand without having to go out and come back in facing the other way now... :D
<chuckle chuckle> :lol:

Nice one Adam looking like a very useful extension there mate

When we moved house last November, I gained 900mm in the garage and you would not believe the difference that made - feels more like an extra couple of meters :)

Adam,
It looks much bigger in the pics, so i bet it feels
like a ballroom in the flesh. Good job :D

TX

Tsk, if only i'd known you needed a hand :roll:

Adam
do you get a significant drop in temprerature when you run the dust extractor ??

I ask as I am thining of moving mine outside

Bean

Bean":ox6y1zzn said:
Adam
do you get a significant drop in temprerature when you run the dust extractor ??

I ask as I am thining of moving mine outside

Bean

Surprisingly no. Although I can't see why that should be - as it is drawing cold air into the workshop - as it removes the "warm/dusty" air.

Dunno - I run it for extended periods of time - and it doesn't seem to have an undue effect.

Adam

tx2man":3hm0o3m9 said:
Adam,Bean,
You could pipe the warm, filtered air back into the workshop!

TX

Not sure if you are kidding there or not? The reason I have it seperate is not for space, but as the "filter" on most chip collectors (note I don't call it a dust extractor) are simply not even close to as fine as the manufturers make out. They test the dust particles getting through the "filter" by letting it get so caked in dust on the inside, that nothing escapes including air - so seriously reducing the volume of air being extracted. They can however claim it catches everything down to sub-micron particles. If you use them in a "normal" fashion - intermitently shaking the dust off the upper bag, most fine particles make it through - so they just end up spewing fine dust absolutely everywhere in your workshop - basically as a dust distributor :shock:. It's very noticible how much dust is left in my little "dust extractor" outhouse, and how little their is in the workshop. Perhaps piping it back via somekind of cartridge filter warrented by a manufacturer and similar to those used in cyclones would be the ideal solution. But then you'd need to build a air-tight box for your extractor.

Adam

Asleitch, I apologise for breaking in on your thread, but I would take up any offer of assistance, (payment a weeks holiday in Torbay)

I want to take the roof off my double garage (at present corrugated asbestos, which I would look after)

Most probably wouldn't start til next spring/summer, would prefer a pitched roof using trusses, or second choice a leanto with the new stick on bitumous.

John in Torbay.
aka devonwoody

devonwoody":jsy347y3 said:
Asleitch, I apologise for breaking in on your thread, but I would take up any offer of assistance, (payment a weeks holiday in Torbay)

Can't help on that score I'm afraid, my new job has less holiday than I'd hoped for.... :(

devonwoody":jsy347y3 said:
with the new stick on bitumous.

I can give this a very high rating, although I didn't use it on my extension (as the rest of the roof wasn't done like this), my neighbour did his kitchen roof, and an observatory with this stuff (from wickes) and I was so impressed I managed to persuade my dad to use it when replacing the roofs on his 2 sheds recently. It's so easy to use - I'll use it if I ever replace the roof on my workshop again. It's quite expensive, about 4 times more than a standard roll, but the speed you can use it at, coupled with the fact you don't have to nail any "hold-down" strips through it - makes it longer lasting, and easier to apply.

Adam

I'm told that this stuff has a 20 year expectancy. A neighbour has it on his roof which has a permanent hollow and the water lays in a puddle for days until a drying spell comes along. So if laid with a decent slope I should think it will work OK. (They fitters did use a large blowlamp/flamethrower to melt the underneath of the felt).

Back