Workshop colour?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerTool

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi - after having built myself a small workshop early this year,and having seen (and been shamed by :oops: ) so many excellent workshops on this site,I would like your opinions on the best colour/finish for a brick workshop.
The walls are currently brick-coloured (no surprise there..) but have been wondering if painting the inside walls would be worth doing

Would painting it white make better use of the light ?

Would paint make it easier to dust/keep clean?

Thanks in advance for any replies,and all opinions welcome.

Andrew

FelderMan":201nlgw8 said:
Andrew,
In answer to your questions. Yes & Yes. :D :D

You won't believe the difference it makes.

Thanks - fairly clear!
It's what I thought,but wondered if there was anything better/newer/different out there.
Haven't got organised with image hosting yet,so will have to wait for piccies :(

Andrew, I've had bare faced concrete blocks for years and have almost finished giving the walls a lick of white. Can't believe the difference and the cleaner appearance. So much brighter and I don't even need to use the lights during a overcast and sunless day.

Noel

Thanks Noel - next question:emulsion or masonary paint ?

Picture026.jpg

P.S. trying to get the hang of posting pictures :)

Dulux or Crown matt emulsion, 7.5Ltr tub, £10 outta B & Q. If you've nice smooth brick it's dead easy with a roller and brush. If your brick/block work is anything like mine (full of holes and as rough as a badger's behind) a masonry brush and and steely resolve is needed. But all well worth it.

Noel

Pure white can be a bit harsh and create glare. You might want to consider a tint such as magnolia.

Gill

Magnolia Gill? Yeah, for that 70s look...................
Harsh and a bit of glare? Big improvement for me.
Seriously, have heard of people throwing a few drops of black in to reduce the harshness etc.
Andrew why are your hangers so long? The wall plate hangers, that is.

Rgds

Noel

Don't want the roof blowing off.. :shock:

Actually,ordered all the building materials from local builders merchants,and they just happened to be that size - and I'm too tight to waste things :D

In fact,that's how a lot of my projects start;having something left that I feel I need to use for something 8)

if you haven't done anything yet to the wall, you can also batten the wall out and put some OSB against the wall, and spray paint that. nice insulation, and sound proofing ,and ideal to screw things tothe wall, and fairly inexpensive, and looks much better than painting the wall, also painting the wall (incase of a single brick wall) is not ideal as it cannot breath anymore, so you could start a mushroom factory

McLuma

May also be worth finding out whether the cheapy HVLP B&Q gun can push emulsion out - that would be my way to go.

Cheers

Tim

Philly, i take it that you have done this. I was thinking about using the gun to paint the garage walls too. Did you have to mix it well with water to get it flowing correctly.

I added about 10/15% thinners to get it flowing nice-the gun is really forgiving of viscosity. Just give it more/less air flow and your away! Try mixing a bit of PVA in with it so the first coat seals the surface.
Cheers
Philly :D

Forgive my ignorance but do you have to use oil based paints or can you use water based with this gun. Never sprayed before so was going to practice with the water based emulsion that i have lying around.

Latest posts

Back