Workshop Chaos.. Desperation setting in!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
General View.jpg
One step at a time.jpg
Small steps.jpg
More Shelves to foul.jpg
Tool-Hooks for G clamps.jpg

Ist Pic.

The timber in the aisle standing against the planer has gone to a wood-burner near me.

2nd Pic.
Not much has changed, except I dismantled the Coronet lathe, until I make a smaller bench for it.

3rd Pic
The cupboard on the left contains most of my planes. The pic on the door is SWIMBO, just to keep me on the straight and narrow!

4th Pic.
The shelves to the right of the door, behind the pplace where the Chop-saw will live permanently, once I have buil its castored stand.

5th Pic.

The g cramps are on the tool hooks I mentioned earlier in another thread. They work well, and one hook can hold two cramps if necessary.

This is the glory hole at the moment. Work progresses and I will post more for comparison. So apologies if the mess makes you feel ill. I am not a finicky worker (hammer) except in the matter of getting things right, but I don't usually work amongst this much clutter! Honest! :mrgreen: :D

Attachments

• General View.jpg
    General View.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 1,893
  • Small steps.jpg
    Small steps.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 1,896
  • One step at a time.jpg
    One step at a time.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 1,871
  • Tool-Hooks for G clamps.jpg
    Tool-Hooks for G clamps.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 2,085
  • More Shelves to foul.jpg
    More Shelves to foul.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 1,892
are most things fixed, or on moveable bases? i am currently in the process of putting things on bases/castors. I am not looking forward to getting the planer on 1, and it is less than half the weight of yours!

marcros":4tm91smf said:
are most things fixed, or on moveable bases? i am currently in the process of putting things on bases/castors. I am not looking forward to getting the planer on 1, and it is less than half the weight of yours!

I've been collecting castors for the last 12 months, so I have plenty. Everything but my workbench will be castored. This has to be. So I can use the planer for instance, I have to pull it along towards the doors. At the moment it's on three pieces of broom stale, and I roll it along on those, like they built the pyramids I assume! Also the chop saw stand will have to double for my drill stand and morticer, so all three pieces are going to be stowed underneath the stand when not in use. Also, the planer thicknesser table moves up and down of course, so I will use it as an out-rigger support for the chop saw. The workbench, (A bit sad at the moment ) is to be replaced, but it isn't going to move anywhere!

HTH to clear up any probs.

:D

John, firewood much appreciated, if you are in complete despair I'll 'look after' your thicknesser and bandsaw aswell. I'm always happy to help.

Thanks again

Declan.

stevep":m0jhzm2w said:
Also the offer of welding up your machine base frames still stands .

Steve,

I knew someone had offered... I just couldn't remember who. :mrgreen:

And I deleted some messages in error and yours must have been among them. That's much appreciated. I have some 1" square 'tube' with 3/16" wall. I think it will talke the weight. I will get my Son to draw up a sketch hopefully at the weekend.
Thanks again.
Much Appreciated. :D

Blister....
Yes I do manage it, especially now I lost a stone in weight! (Worry you see!)

Declan,
Well, your offer is appreciated, :lol: but for sure you are welcome to trot across and use it if ever it is necessary. (There's more firewood building up. I'll let you know.) :D

Mailee....
You have the head-room for that bandsaw? :lol:

Blister":1oef0hqe said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

OMG :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can you get in ?????????? :lol:

That was my first thought! :lol:

All my stuff is in a single garage as well, but I don't think I've got half the amount of stuff you do! :shock: What do you find is your biggest issue with such a space?

I think with such small spaces, and mine is only a double garage, you have to be ruthless and ask yourself 'Do I really need to keep that? '. With both tools and materials you have to force yourself to get rid if the answer is no; and keep it up. It's amazing how much room can be regained with a good clearout and it makes working far more pleasurable.

cmwatt":pm5c6ajx said:
Blister":pm5c6ajx said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

OMG :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can you get in ?????????? :lol:

That was my first thought! :lol:

All my stuff is in a single garage as well, but I don't think I've got half the amount of stuff you do! :shock: What do you find is your biggest issue with such a space?

CM,

One big issue is moving that planer when it's necessary. When I bought it I was twenty years younger. Even then it was a beast to move. But it's a fine machine..... etc...!

My biggest issue really is space to store timber. At the moment it's under corrugated plastic in the yard, but there's only so much room. Also during a project, there isn't much space to lay down workpieces either. I also have to wait for dry weather and glue up on the drive. Or if the job isn't too big, in the porch! But it's a way around things.

Studders...

I appreciate what you say, but a lot of the stuff in there is going; It all started to build up when my daughter was living here, and there was nowhere else to store her stuff. In the end I almost gave it neck... But why should I?

It's fun!

:wink:

devonwoody":3qn0wggp said:
I would definitely get an additional shed if only for storage.

I was seriously considering a 10 x 6 for handwork Woody...

But with a head like mine, there would always be a trek around the house for something I'd forgotten. Then I'd decide to invest in a small bandsaw from Machine Mart; for the odd quick cutting job. Maybe another drill-stand or morticer, and another router, just to save me the bother of walking back and forth! Then an extra set of hand tools... and so on and so on!

Perhaps just for storage then? :mrgreen:

I'd like to build my own shed though, so...... :D

Hi Woody,

That is a good suggestion, but:

a) Neighbours object to caravans and trailers on drives.
b) A trailer wouldn't last five minutes, and there's no way to stow one securely behind gates or walls.
As for the additional shed, whilst no planning permission is required, my local council won't allow a wooden sheds within 15 feet (App 5 metres) of houses. Any shed in the yard must be metal. That doesn't please SWMBO, and I have also to persuade her to accept a shed (over and above the existing 'tool-shed') elsewhere in the garden,

Most of my timber for imminent projects, plus stuff like conduit and angle metal, is in the rafters of the garage as below, so that helps a little.

:)

Attachments

• Timber rack.jpg
    Timber rack.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 619
  • 4 x 2s.jpg
    4 x 2s.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 619
Whereabouts in brum are you ? I'd gladly help with a shed build if you could use it. I've got a brick hut at the bottom of my garden that, when funds permit, I would like to demolish and replace with a nice sized wooden workshop so the practice, experience and inspiration would be very valuable.

Hi Defsdoor....

First off, welcome to the forum.

I am about ten-fifteen minutes from Sutton Town Centre, in Great Barr.
That's a kind offer, and it's appreciated. If I can find a way around these Local Regs, I will take you up on that.

With regard to your building at the bottom of your garden, are you sure it isn't a better proposition to restore it? I converted an old half-brick greenhouse, in Handsworth, when I started. That was a mere 9 feet square. (But of course I had only hand-tools then!) Nothing beats a brick built shop, at the end of the day, even a small one.
Come to think of it, I might get away with a half-brick building in the yard, but that's a bit permanent. it is a problem, yet one way or the other, I will have to have something. (hammer)

Woody,

You mean a 'SORN' type of vehicle. Otherwise it would have to be insured! It's a thought, but again, I'd have to watch the neighbours. Some of them think they live in Surbiton, or the 'Tropic of Ruislip'! :D

Back