Workshop Chaos.. Desperation setting in!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benchwayze":2a49bxpa said:
As for the additional shed, whilst no planning permission is required, my local council won't allow a wooden sheds within 15 metres of houses. Any shed in the yard must be metal. That doesn't please SWMBO, and I have also to persuade her to accept a shed (over and above the existing 'tool-shed') elsewhere in the garden.

That's an unusual 'regulation', why no wooden sheds within 15 metres of houses? Is that something to do with fire or something? How did you find that rule out? (I'm an architect in training and not heard of something like that, but then again I am newly qualified and in Scotland :) ). I agree, a shed for storing timber would be a good solution to giving yourself more space to work in.

Hi Craig...

I just realised that should read 15 feet (Five metres :oops: ) I am told it is to eliminate fire risk to buildings.

Walsall Council (My particular 'rulers'!) are a funny lot.

I discovered this when I enquired about covering over the side yard, to the boundary wall (Which is about 15 feet from the nearest pavement)
They said I would have to build a narrower extension with its own wall. Then, if I did that I would have to sink an inspection access hole for the drains that run beneath my property from the houses in the grove. (They were there before my house was built, I should add, although I maintain the drain should have been laid along the roadway, rather than through what was then a private vacant plot. It's caused me problems, and certainly will in the future, for whoever buys this property subsequently, should they want to extend properly.

I think I will just erect a shed in the corner of the yard. The worst they will do is tell me to take it down. if they do this, that might persuade SWIMBO to allow me to have it elsewhere in the garden. (Maybe a summerhouse!)

:?

Hi John,

If a shed elsewhere in the garden is a problem aesthetically, how about a folly? Castellated, with mock gothicness and hanging mosses etc. Picturesque on the outside, stuffed with wood on the inside ....

You'd need a good lock though as they do tend to attract hermits.

HTH

Btw, could you please pm me your address again as I finally have some goodies for you.

Benchwayze":f1oc5zp1 said:
Hi Craig...

I just realised that should read 15 feet (Five metres :oops: ) I am told it is to eliminate fire risk to buildings.

Walsall Council (My particular 'rulers'!) are a funny lot.

I discovered this when I enquired about covering over the side yard, to the boundary wall (Which is about 15 feet from the nearest pavement)
They said I would have to build a narrower extension with its own wall. Then, if I did that I would have to sink an inspection access hole for the drains that run beneath my property from the houses in the grove. (They were there before my house was built, I should add, although I maintain the drain should have been laid along the roadway, rather than through what was then a private vacant plot. It's caused me problems, and certainly will in the future, for whoever buys this property subsequently, should they want to extend properly.

I think I will just erect a shed in the corner of the yard. The worst they will do is tell me to take it down. if they do this, that might persuade SWIMBO to allow me to have it elsewhere in the garden. (Maybe a summerhouse!)

Hehe, that's ok. 15 feet makes more sense. :D I think the rules might be different for a stand alone shed in your garden compared to covering over the side yard. Was this covering more like a lean to on the side of the house and over the driveway? If so, different rules might apply since it would be attached to the house. I'm not certain though.

Craig. :)

My current brick shed is a bit small and has only half brick thick walls - there are some bad cracks that would require some work. By the time I've battened it and insulated it it might be simple to knock it down and use it as hardcore for the base of a new one. I also not sure what the regs would decide if I were to take a wall down and extend it with a wooden structure.

Biggest issue is that due to the amount of leaf fall over the years (I've cut 4 BIG trees down since we moved in in 2010) the base of the shed is about 12-18 inches below the ground height now so I have a lot of digging out to do for a new foundation. I also don't have a clear passageway from the front of the house to the rear - some silly person thought it would be a good idea to put the conservatory out over the side (whilst leaving the existing open drains in the conservatory at the same time.)

I'm open for anything that gives me as much space as I can get though and will have to decide exactly how closer to when I can afford to do it - but I can't wait :)

Richard T":pf8hyrro said:
Hi John,

If a shed elsewhere in the garden is a problem aesthetically, how about a folly? Castellated, with mock gothicness and hanging mosses etc. Picturesque on the outside, stuffed with wood on the inside ....

You'd need a good lock though as they do tend to attract hermits.

HTH

Btw, could you please pm me your address again as I finally have some goodies for you.

Richard...
I would think about that Folly, if Fred Dibnah was still around to maintain it for me! :lol:

Ref the Address NP.

Craig,

Yes. What I wanted to do was put a Georgian-wired glass roof from a wall-plate on my house, over my yard (10 feet wide) and settle the rafters on top of the boundary wall.. (Which doesn't abut public land btw.) I could only do that if I left the ends open, which was pointless!

Walsall Council is a funny set-up, as I said. :roll:

defsdoor":3jivfuv6 said:
My current brick shed is a bit small and has only half brick thick walls - there are some bad cracks that would require some work. By the time I've battened it and insulated it it might be simple to knock it down and use it as hardcore for the base of a new one. I also not sure what the regs would decide if I were to take a wall down and extend it with a wooden structure.

Biggest issue is that due to the amount of leaf fall over the years (I've cut 4 BIG trees down since we moved in in 2010) the base of the shed is about 12-18 inches below the ground height now so I have a lot of digging out to do for a new foundation. I also don't have a clear passageway from the front of the house to the rear - some silly person thought it would be a good idea to put the conservatory out over the side (whilst leaving the existing open drains in the conservatory at the same time.)

I'm open for anything that gives me as much space as I can get though and will have to decide exactly how closer to when I can afford to do it - but I can't wait :)

Sounds like the kind of property some friends of mine live in, over by the Horse & Jockey! 8)

Benchwayze":12f1da9s said:

I had the same trouble, but was able to build this without any objection from SWMBO

Hi Roger,

I believe I saw that lovely WIP before, and I think it would have been within my physical capabilities 15 years ago! That's not much smaller than my workshop as it happens, but I do have the space. Although I would be tempted to take it over as my art 'studio' or a Roald Dahl type 'escape'! It is the complete answer of course, but... I am afraid SWIMBO is adamant. No shed of ANY sort in the garden. Nor a greenhouse (Hence I gave up growing fuchsias). It's the single thing she has been intractable over, so I mustn't grumble! SWIMBO is the main gardener, and in her words, she doesn't want to 'traipse the length of the garden just to fetch a rake or a fork.'

I couldn't convince her, according to that dictum, the obvious place for a shed is in the centre of the garden! 8)
I will have to build something nice, near the house, and try to get away with it! Thanks anyway Roger. :D

PS.. Just showed my wife your thread. Immediate (and I mean immediate) reaction? 'It's too big for our garden!'
I give up. :roll:

Bad luck John. :cry: FWIW, I had a lot of resistance from SWMBO to my shed build as well. To begin with she was adamant that she really didn't want to be able to see it from the kitchen window, but now we have one she wouldn't be without it. Since it was built SWMBO has planted some tubs in front of it, and we have a seat facing the morning sun under the window, and this has softened the appearance considerably. But remember that the first rule of sheds is that you need to build it twice as big as you think you'll need in order that the end result is at least half the size you find you require!

Cheers Roger..

Yep... I generally use that 'ratio' of sizes, and experience tells me how true it is!

It's just that SWIMBO didn't stop to realise I could make the shed to any suitable size. My garden isn't quite so big, or secluded, but despite what SWIMBO believes, there is definitely space for a 12 x 8, should I choose. Maybe she is more concerned with neighbours thinking we're a bit 'flash'!! :lol:

Cheers, and the 'war' continues! :mrgreen:

What about a summerhouse style shed? This is one my folks have in their garden, my brother uses it for putting his bike and other tools in. (Sorry only photo I've got at the moment and it's covered in snow!) It's bang in the middle of our back garden which isn't huge and can be seen from the living room, dining room and kitchen.

_MG_3369 by Craig Watt, on Flickr

Well now Craig! I like that too. Looks just like Switzerland!

I just mooted the question again. SWIMBO is finding it difficult (as am I) to get to the top of the garden anyway, so the idea of covering some space with a 10 x 6 shed is becoming a little more attractive to her. At least I think it's starting to germinate! So us'll 'ave ter see!

Cheers :D

Benchwayze":3ry8dsn1 said:
Well now Craig! I like that too. Looks just like Switzerland!

I just mooted the question again. SWIMBO is finding it difficult (as am I) to get to the top of the garden anyway, so the idea of covering some space with a 10 x 6 shed is becoming a little more attractive to her. At least I think it's starting to germinate! So us'll 'ave ter see!

Cheers :D

... and if a measuring error means it turns out 12' x 8' ( 60% more floor space than 10'x6' ) then who's to know until it's too late. Makes best use of sheet materials too! :wink:

I am perusing Stiles's 'Sheds' already!

!2 x 8 Summerhouse/tool-shed/art-studio/brew-house? Hmmmm!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :eek:ccasion5:

Available here, and from all good bookshops, and a few rubbish ones as well. :eek:ccasion5:

John,

Do you have a table saw in there? If so, do you find yourself having to constantly move it around? I have just started another thread to see how others manage.

Mark

Cheers Roger.

I bought my copy from Stobarts, some years ago! Then my knees caved in! :mrgreen: So I never got around to it. I will though, the fates willing!

Mark.

I do have a tablesaw in the shape of a Triton workcentre. (Also having a cross-cut saw.) The Triton still has the overhead mode facility and I will incorporate a router table underneath too.
There was something amiss with the alignment of the new Triton, and I was unable to fit the bottom rails in properly. (Try as I might.) I ended up having to put them on the outside of the frame, just to square it up. I am awaiting delivery of some aluminium, angle, so I can make proper replacements, which I will bolt down to a wooden table. So the legs that came with the Triton are useless to me and I designed a wooden, castored stand. (Pics when finished). So yes I envisage moving stuff around some.

I tend to plan jobs beforehand, and make sure I have all the sawing operations out of the way, followed by all of the planing phases, and thence to the bench for handwork. There really isn't any other way with a small shop like mine, and task rotation is paramount. The only thing in my shop that won't eventually be on castors is my workbench, which is in the best place for it; against a wall and bearing on a wall-buttress. Hence zero racking!

HTH :D

Back