Workshop build epic

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that pint looks like a pint from my local, big head on that!

Lee J":qtnkatl3 said:
that pint looks like a pint from my local, big head on that!

Yes, it was a bit lively, I had the CO2 on the carbonation (20 lb/in2) outlet not the serving (5 lb/in2) outlet on my gas board :oops: It was during commissioning and I had to drink any mistakes so I wasn't too bothered :D

my dad has bought, sold and played with of various types for as long as I have been alive, but I dont recall him having a dexter of any form. Mainly massey fergusons in the last few years, although there is a Massey Harris too. They normally stay for a few years and get changed for something else, a lot like woodworking machines really!

I've had this one for about 10 years, mainly in bits, its time I got her finished, that's what I shall be doing most of the summer while its spraying weather.

A workshop with a brewery beneath - not sure if its genius or madness but I'd like to find out... A very impressive build and what a lovely spot too, enjoy the fruits of your labours :)

Thanks for the kind words guys, its been a long haul from a small shed in London and a garage in Doncaster before then. The reason it is so big was partially the fault of my neighbour, his logic is unquestionable " you can put a little 'un in a big 'un bit not a big 'un in a little 'un". So I extended it another 5m and funnily enough, it seem that most of that space is occupied with his stuff :lol:

The main problems are the elements, even though I've insulated it, heating it would be a very costly and would have made the planning/building regs more complex as there are all sorts of pressure tests you need to do etc. Dehumidifying the workshop is also virtually impossible so rust and cold are major curses. However I have found that there are ways around it, or at least to minimise impact.

This is a milling machine I was in the process of renovating this winter
ts-lv1.jpg

and a couple of days later, this happened literally overnight, big lump of cold iron, change in air pressure/humidity/temperature and suddenly you get condensation and rust.
rusty-ts.jpg

Fortunately this was just light surface rust and I quickly removed it and covered it with a Dynax S50, a wax based product from Bilt Hamber that seems to work well however I'm experimenting with other stuff too.

I have built a cosy part in the stone part of the barn above the brewery ( no beer tap extended - yet). This is double insulated with kingspan and is kept reasonably warm with just a PC, printer etc. going, unless its really bitter outside. I work from here a day or so a week so and I also use it for electrical/electronic projects, I'm currently making my own heating controls with a raspberry pi and Arduino as I think commercial ones are pants. If its too cold in the workshop I come in here with a cuppa and work on something else.
office.jpg

That's one of the reasons I'm building a partition in the workshop, and area with mainly woodworking tools with a wooden floor. I may put a small wood stove in here.

The last problem is security, it really galls me when stuff you have worked hard for is stolen, especially when you know they will be sold for peanuts. I have had one break-in but they got away with nothing as they couldn't get past the steel door. If they had they would have faced another plus several other security measures that I would rather not go into. I don't really have many expensive tools, most are ancient/refurbished and have little black market resale value however this wouldn't stop them. They broke through the Yorkshire boarding into the barn below, there's nothing to nick in there, at least not portable and the sliding door is unlocked anyway!

Next, the workshop in more detail.
barn-break-in1.jpg

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• ts-lv1.jpg
    ts-lv1.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 894
  • rusty-ts.jpg
    rusty-ts.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 894
  • office.jpg
    office.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 894
  • barn-break-in1.jpg
    barn-break-in1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 894
bobblezard":2s5ngu9r said:
A workshop with a brewery beneath - not sure if its genius or madness but I'd like to find out... A very impressive build and what a lovely spot too, enjoy the fruits of your labours :)

That's it, stick a lap dancing bar in the cellar and a live music venue on the mezzanine and you'll have sex, drugs and rock n roll :)

Random Orbital Bob":2iwx4qm1 said:
bobblezard":2iwx4qm1 said:

That's it, stick a lap dancing bar in the cellar and a live music venue on the mezzanine and you'll have sex, drugs and rock n roll :)

I do have a drum kit in it, not that I can play or have ever shown any inclination to play, however my ageing parents thought it would be a good birthday present and their neighbours were getting rid of it. The kids make a din on it and I plan to move it somewhere else very soon however I don't think I can get away with getting rid of it just yet.

We had our wedding reception in the downstairs barn last year, we had a mates ska band playing and large quantities of ale and a very sunny day, brilliant!

I found a few more pics of the barn/workshop build in progress.

Here's the first two 5m sections being built. In this shot you can seen how much the land falls away by the amount the foundation of the next two pillars become get higher. The foundations go well down and are twice as wide as needed, for the sake of a couple of extra cubes of concrete I have piece of mind. I had some old concrete drainage rings knocking about the farm from the previous owners, these plus some shuttering formed the concrete pillars as the land sloped away.
P1000404.jpg

P1000406.jpg

You can see the sections of metaldeck ready to be "shot" onto the beams on this photo.
P1000405.jpg

Here's a shot the other way. There is an existing concrete base from the wooden stables that were here before I bought the place, evidently they had blown away a few times. I cut through the concrete base for the foundations, once the barn was built and the inside of the barn was levelled with hardcore, it was wackered down periodically but left for 2 years before we put a good 6" of reinforced concrete over the whole downstairs including the old base. At the deepest point the infill was about 5 foot deep and it settled about 4" to 6" over 2 years so the wait was worth it otherwise the concrete would have been flapping in the breeze at one end. It also allowed me to save up!
P1000407.jpg

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1000404.jpg
    P1000404.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 1,491
  • P1000405.jpg
    P1000405.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 1,491
  • P1000406.jpg
    P1000406.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 1,491
  • P1000407.jpg
    P1000407.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 1,491
just WOW! i can only dream of having something as amazing as that when I'm older.

As you have technology in the building surely it would be fairly easy to get some good CCTV running hooked up to a hard drive?

PAUL_TDI":g2djceee said:
just WOW! i can only dream of having something as amazing as that when I'm older.

As you have technology in the building surely it would be fairly easy to get some good CCTV running hooked up to a hard drive?

Thanks Paul :D

Yes it would be easy wouldn't it :wink:

The problem with CCTV is that they lead to very few convictions but they do have a deterrent and alarm value. I have motion detection set up, not on the camera as that is pants, but on the server and that can distinguish between a tree in the wind and a person/car better. That can then alert me and send pictures off site.

I have other anti theft measures but I don't want to go into too much detail!

Regards
Andy

Look. All these pictures of the building are nice and all, but. When. Are. We. Going. To. See. The. TOOLS!

;) :D :)

I'm getting around to that bit, just creating a bit of tension first :D I'm currently on a mini-break with the family so away from the workshop. Went to the national space centre yesterday, very good, kids loved it. I wanted to go to the pumping station next door but we run out of time. There seemed to be some kind of Trekkie convention on, more phasors, tri-croders and communicators than you could shake a stick at.

Workshop pics Monday, honest :wink:

Here's a general picture of the workshop from the entrance. it is a mess at the moment as I have too many projects on the go, too little time and I need to sell some kit plus I'm in the middle of sorting stuff out and dumping some old tat. You may spot that there are two RAS, I need to sell the Dewalt one. The eagle eyed amongst you may have spotted a tow hitch on the RSJ on the top left. This is to attach a winch, there are several step up to the workshop entrance, I put ramp on this, strap heavy stuff on a pallet truck then wheel it up, using the winch as a safety measure. The lathe came up this way.
P1030826.jpg

Here's another general view, you can see the RSJ used as a hoist carrier and the plate in the floor which can be removed to hoist stuff up from the barn below.
P1030827.jpg

Clockwise from the door is milling machine and lathe. The milling machine is an 1960's Tom Senior light vertical and I'm just in the middle of rewiring it after rebuilding most of it. It should replace the Warco mill/drill in the next photo. The lathe is a 1950's Colchester Chipmaster, this needs a bit of TLC on the carriage but the rest is good.
P1030834.jpg

This is the metalwork bench, its 50mm box section with a 10mm plate top. The Warco mill drill is very good drill, milling is average but so are my skills :lol:. The big red wheel on the right is the flywheel of my Rapidor mechanical hacksaw that I renovated last year, the design hasn't changed much since the 1880s although this one is probably from the 1950s.
P1030838.jpg

Attachments

• P1030826.jpg
    P1030826.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 1,254
  • P1030834.jpg
    P1030834.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 1,254
  • P1030838.jpg
    P1030838.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 1,254
  • P1030827.jpg