Workshop Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetochat

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to make a bench for the workshop. I would like to have it mobile so I can easily move things around. Can anyone advise how this can be designed to give as much stability as possible? and any wheels/castors that I should use.

Thanks

I have two large mobile bases, with cupboards underneath. one has the planer thicknesser on it and the other has the bandsaw and old table saw on it both have industrial castors with brakes underneath it. very sturdy and very handy

will make some picutures of it,

I have made two mobile benchs, one fitted with a mitre saw and the other fitted out as a router bench. The plans were in a copy of Good Woodworking, quite a while ago, but you can purchase back copies of the magazine.
Both benchs have drawers on one side, a cupboard under the machine and a full height cupboard on the other side. Both are mounted on 3 inch diameter castors from B&Q, which makes them easy to move.

Neville

I know its 'off brief' but if I could suggest that if there is only one piece of equipment that you don't move about, then make it the bench.

I have just about everything on wheels in my workshop, with the exception being the bench. The reason for my thought is that the bench needs to be stable and flat. Putting it on wheels means that there are only tiny points of contact between it and the ground and if you need to put your back into anything, the bench will move. Likewise, if the surface under the wheels is not level then it can rack the bench and affect the flatness of the top.

If you can't do that then stability will generally come from weight (low down) ie drawers under the bench top filled with all your heavy stuff.

Hope that helps but I know its not exactly what you asked for!

:oops:

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tim for your advice. This was one aspect of a mobile bench that I was querying.

Thank you to all others for your advice.

I tend to agree with Tim on this one, but if its really necessary to move your bench due to lack of space, then have you thought about jacking wheel arrangements. You wouls only be on the wheels when you needed to move it.

I'm not to up to date on these but I know Mahking has been investigating this for his work bench, if he doesn't join the thread send him a pm.

There were links to jacking castors in the thread linked in Jeff's (Mdotflorida) post.

Andy

One method I have used before was to mount wheels not quite touching the ground on the side of one pair of end legs (i.e. not underneath the legs). This way the bench sits flat on the ground on all 4 legs as usual, but if you want to move it you can lift the other end to the wheels and wheel it around a bit like a sack truck or wheel barrow.

Of course, this does depend upon how long/substantial he bench is as it may be too heavy...

Cheers
Mike

My thinking was if I needed to move the bench, rather than having to move it all the time. I am looking at the idea that 'King Norm' came up with, with the hinged wheel set on his make-up bench to see if I could adapt that for the occassional movement.

I don't know why you need your bench to be mobile, but if space is a problem, something like a folding work bench might help. I don't have one myself, but I've heard good reports.

Gill

Freetochat":3cz5ao50 said:
I am looking at the idea that 'King Norm' came up with, with the hinged wheel set on his make-up bench

D'you think Philly has one of those for all his magazine photo shoots! :whistle: :whistle:

Cheers

Tim [/b]

FWIW I.ve looked into jacking castors and while they would seem the ideal solution the price is off the planet for me , between £40 and £80 a corner!!! :evil:
Regards
Martin

Back