Workshop bench - laminating 2mm ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeQ666

Reaction score
Hello

Hope you chaps can help. I have a couple of benches in my 'man cave' garage. They are made from 2x2 frame with 10'x30" 18mm birch ply tops. So pretty sturdy. I laminated them years ago with 0.7mm white Formica but didn't do a great job and over time they have lifted here Andy there and cracked due to impacts etc.

I've ripped it all off and sanded off all the dried out evostick. I'm ready to do it all again. Any recommendations on the best glue to use to bond it. Also, any recommendation she on the Formica sheet to buy. I'm after a shiny glossy white look and was thinking 2mm thick.

Also cutting and finishing the edges off ... made a bit of a ham fisted job last time. I mainly build model aircraft in there so I won't be manhandling Ford Capri engine blocks across it. But I think 2mm will be better than the original 0.7mm I used 20yrs ago.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    1,001.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0735.JPG
    IMG_0735.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
Hello

Not really liking the melamine. Not as hard wearing. But thanks for the feedback.

Just noticed ... I've put 2mm Formica ... I meant 1.2mm. I'm going to go for the 1.2mm ARPlus white.

Next question. I'll have to roll this 10x4x1.2mm sheet up ... in order to get in back of my 4WD. Anyone know a safe diameter to roll a sheet of 1.2mm Formica. I just need to get it in back of 4WD without cracking it. Otherwise it's a 50 quid delivery charge.

Back