Workshop apron

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum a few months back and was just wondering if any of you guys may have any experience in using shop aprons?
I have dabbled in a bit of leather work recently and quite like the idea of making my own apron for storing some more common tools whilst working, but unsure whether it may be more of a hindrance when working in the shop? Understand the safety aspects of loose clothing etc, but like the idea of an apron for a protective and storage point of view as apposed to a tool belt.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated
Regards
Bill.

I use a leather apron now and then, usually for short stints in the workshop when I am wearing decent clothes. Sooner than getting changed into my normal workshop kit I just pull the apron on, know that anything oily or sticky isn't going to wreck my clothing. If I were designing it from scratch I would focus on the straps/ fastenings rather than pockets/ pouches etc.

I have the veritas one which I sometimes use. the straps are around the shoulders rather than around the neck. much better, I would copy that design.

If I'm going to wear anything I prefer a warehouse jacket I just find them more comfortable

marcros":23sj8e4h said:
I have the veritas one which I sometimes use. the straps are around the shoulders rather than around the neck. much better, I would copy that design.
Same here, excellent bit of kit - Rob

I usually wear a brown leather apron when ever I’m doing woodwork in the shop. I do it for two reasons, the first is if keeps any of my clothing nicely bound up out of any machines way. The second is that it both keeps dust off me (the table saw likes to project dust horizontally at me!) and also just in case I drop anything sharp.

I use another blue apron for metal work, particularly if using a wire brush. I had a close call with an angle grinder once that the apron saved me from a trip to the A&E. A cloth apron wouldn’t have avoided seeing the pretty blue lights.

I have two aprons so I don’t contaminate wood with metal / oil.

Lots of pockets seem a good idea, however I have found that stuff collects in them, and can then drop out rather dangerously. I prefer just one small pocket high up on the chest that just fits a small square, metal 6” ruler and a pencil.

I use an apron for some jobs, I hate leather ones though, they get in the way, I would only wear one for welding or similar.

I have a couple of warehouse coats, they are really great. I don't wear one day to day as I have specific work clothes but I will put one on for particularly dirty jobs. I have a separate warehouse coat I keep just for when I need to nip out to the shop on a day off, I can put it on over my normal clothes and it will keep them clean. Very handy to have.

I have the old “Rutlands “ leather apron- I’ll post a picture tomorrow. 2 front waist pockets with flaps and a breast pocket for glasses, pencil and 6” rule. As well as the protective qualities, for me it also helps the mindset that I’m now making (trying to make) some quality woodwork. So jeans and a rugby shirt are fine for rough and ready garden type of work but the apron going on means I slow down, think and concentrate. Sounds a bit daft but it works for me.

Coarse leather apron, no pockets. When I roll up my sleeves, I tuck the roll INSIDE the upper sleeve. If you are, or know, a blacksmith, you will know why to both pockets and sleeves. :wink:

Sam

I started using a Veritas one about 6 weeks ago. The biggest plus is always knowing where your pencil/tape measure etc. are if you can train yourself to always put them back in your apron pocket.

When I'm in my workshop I put on my turners jacket. Just 2 pockets and they are in the back, but easy to reach. They don't drop things out of them and they don't attract rubbish and bits from turning. The only things in there is what I put in. Plus the sleeves have velcro fastenings so can be sealed against my wrist to stop bits there too. I have had 2 now for about 20 years and they have had a fair bit of use and still going strong. Axy of course, but not the blue ones they have now.

When they finally give up the ghost I will replace them. Shame the new ones have short sleeves tough. Not so good in the winter and with my long sleeves I can roll them up if it finally gets warm :shock: :shock:

As promised. some photos of my apron - which needs a serious clean.
IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_0460.jpg
IMG_0461.jpg

Its made from 6 panels: -
Bottom two - 260mm wide by 330mm high
Middle two - 260mm reducing to 170mm wide and 300mm high
Top two - 170mm reducing to strap width and 185mm high.
Pockets stitched and riveted as you can see from the back view.
My consultant seamstress (!) says it should be pretty easy to put together...?
Hope that helps, I now have to clean mine after she has just seen it!
As an after thought, if you want to make something like this one I can always sort you out a pattern and post it on.

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 583
Hi Glynne, Many thanks for the reply, this looks pretty much like exactly what i had in mind!! a pattern would be very much appreciated if its not to much bother. need something to hold my most used tools in, when in the workshop as i'm forever putting them down and having to find them again!

Again Many thanks

Bill

Well first post on the forum and overwhelmed with all the responses and advice. so big thanks everyone!! been a great help as wasn't sure if an apron was really the way to go, however looks like my mind has been made up! Now to just find sometime to start making one!

No problem Bill, just PM me your address and I’ll send some patterns on.
If they are a bit OCD it’s because my personal seamstress will be supervising and I evidently have to incorporate measurements for seams and identify where there is double stitching!

I know you fancy making one but just in case there is a canvas veritas one on sale (used once) halfish price of new here. workshop-clearout-pt-2-t118029.html
Not to discourage you, I did some leather forming a few times for marking knife sheaths and really enjoyed the learning process. The sewing not so much tbh. :| Are you going to use a special thread?
I can see the appeal of making a leather apron to your specs and probably last a lifetime too.

Bm101":1k6747wn said:
I know you fancy making one but just in case there is a canvas veritas one on sale (used once) halfish price of new here. workshop-clearout-pt-2-t118029.html
Not to discourage you, I did some leather forming a few times for marking knife sheaths and really enjoyed the learning process. The sewing not so much tbh. :| Are you going to use a special thread?
I can see the appeal of making a leather apron to your specs and probably last a lifetime too.
Thanks for the link.
I have made a few bits already out of leather and actually find the sewing part the most relaxing! except for the odd needle prick!

Back