Workshop apron or coat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all depends what I'm doing, as I tend to dabble in all sorts. I got a brown coat with buttons when I'm wood working and doing my pewter casting display as a Victorian/Edwardian. Or when welding/grinding, I wear a Finish ex army overall with a chrome leather apron over the top.

I wear the blue lab coat most of the time. For turning I wear a welders jacket and hat. The jacket has only one exterior pocket on the shoulder for a pencil and does up tight to the neck. The hat fits under the face shield (a ball cap doesn’t). I looked for a proper turning smock but they are hard to find around here and twice the price of the welders jacket.

I wear the blue lab coat most of the time. For turning I wear a welders jacket and hat. The jacket has only one exterior pocket on the shoulder for a pencil and does up tight to the neck. The hat fits under the face shield (a ball cap doesn’t). I looked for a proper turning smock but they are hard to find around here and twice the price of the welders jacket.
It is true that any thing that had woodturning against it is always more expensive!!!

I wear just that type of khaki warehouse coat, and it still has the original army quartermaster's stores labels attached to it. Left them as a bit of younger days' nostalgia.
Yes, my wife says I look like something from Open All Hours - but even worse with the labels hanging on the inside collar!

Have a cheap fisherman style gilet that cost about 30 quid and has 30 pockets in it. Keeps the worst of the shavings and dust off whatever jumper I have on under it, and keeps all the tapes and pencils and candle stub and all the rest together so when I want to go to the shed, I just grab that off the hook by the door and wander out. One of these types of things (the neck closure is particularly nice when the lathe is throwing stuff everywhere):
s-l1600.jpg

I have managed to destroy one of the main pockets though (the woodturning tools and the lathe bits keep catching it), and it's a bit worse for wear after four years so I might need to get myself a new one soon.

I wear just that type of khaki warehouse coat, and it still has the original army quartermaster's stores labels attached to it. Left them as a bit of younger days' nostalgia.
Yes, my wife says I look like something from Open All Hours - but even worse with the labels hanging on the inside collar!
Has it got a date on it. Original ones are rare and fetch good money

Has it got a date on it. Original ones are rare and fetch good money
Be hard to find an original would’ve ended up in the tag box but this nostalgia got to me so after watching the fork handles scene a couple of times I’ve ordered a brown one for myself

My old one is a Coat Overall Mans Khaki, Standard Pattern. Labels also give pattern as WO 24908.
Labels pretty worn and no visible date, but there is Didcot stamp, There used to be an Army Ordnance Depot near the Oxfordshire town.

Just old clothes, jeans and sweatshirt type of thing.. I don't feel the need for a specific set of workshop clothing.

Back