Workshop apron or coat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brill88

Tom Brill general woodworker and woodsman
Reaction score
Always remember my grandad wearing a white coat sortve like a doctors one but then thought of the two ronnies and the brown onse workers etc used to wear anyone still wear one

Attachments

• FAFB3705-28A2-4812-B99C-27D4494E4C11.png
    FAFB3705-28A2-4812-B99C-27D4494E4C11.png
    247.7 KB · Views: 38
I have a blue lab’ coat. Actually, it was supplied to me when I was working as a Woodwork teacher. It’s OK, but the pockets fill up with wood chips, and I find the pockets lacking. I habitually carry a Stanley knife, a vernier gauge, a 3metre tape and a rubber. Breast pocket has a 6 inch steel rule and several pencils and coloured sharpies. When I was a schoolboy, we all wore aprons, with only one large belly pocket. Perhaps we can come up with a better design?

Yes you’re right it’s the only time I wear anything like that, and it is one of those, purely for turning. Unfortunately mine didn’t come with a blonde inside it.

Yes you’re right it’s the only time I wear anything like that, and it is one of those, purely for turning. Unfortunately mine didn’t come with a blonde inside it.
Hahaha did you get the round neck or like that I have a round neck for turning and a normal one for general work

None for me. Anything loose always seems to get caught on plane handles and such.

Lately I've started to like bib & brace overalls, covers most of the body front, non restrictive movement, good air circulation, no sleeves to flap about, easy to get on and off.

I have just brought a couple of lab coats from workware which I have worn for many years in the past. They are great for collecting/holding bits and chips in the pockets. It keeps clothes protected be it paint, oil etc.

I have four woodturning smocks
Axminster. Pockets at back but short sleeves so I no longer use as chips and dust all over arms.
Robert Sorby. No pockets, wool type material on cuffs and neck catches chips and dust and people think my name is Robert Sorby is also expensive. No longer wear
Tool Post. Back pockets, well designed but too small to wear jumper under when cold.
Lovellworkwear in Cardiff on eBay. The best one. Pockets on back, valcro cuffs and at neck, choice of colour and my name and my firms name in red embroidery on navy blue. Also excellent service as they rang me over the size and embroidery actually required. On a busy day when sanding I wear Apache work trousers from Screwfix as they make them long enough and big enough. As a big fan of PPE there is a Trend pro mask and I always wear gloves when using the lathe and bandsaw. O well lunch over.

In summer I wear an old white lab coat, in winter an old warm jacket and flat cap. In the 60s when I was a lad in Technical School there was a hierarchy of overalls, the woodwork teachers wore brown dust coats, the metalwork teachers a bluey-grey coat and the engineers white lab coats. The engineers often taught metalwork and woodwork as well but always wore their white coats. In academic lessons all the teachers wore gowns. The only staff to wear civies were the Art and PE teachers (they gained respect by being skilled).

Blue coat for me, baggy enough to wear a body-warmer underneath if need be but given its just light cotton its surprisingly warm but I like the brown ones, mine also has poppers which I really dont like. Ive been toying with the idea of a bib and brace, the yanks have some really lovely ones in red as well as brown, rather fancy a pair of those but the price is a bit too much,,
Boilersuits are okay, I have several for really dirty jobs or when I know Im going to be laying under something, but the coats are very easy to just slip on.

For years I've worn an apron for general workshop woodworking. The one I wear now is custom made for me, by me. It's wax canvas with leather pockets. I wear a leather apron, also made by me, for the occasional bit of stick welding or grinding. A turners smock which I've had for possibly twenty years for woodturning.

Apron for me, light leather or heavy fabric generally but always with proper shoulder bracing and rear tie else they become very uncomfortable very quickly.

In summer I wear an old white lab coat, in winter an old warm jacket and flat cap. In the 60s when I was a lad in Technical School there was a hierarchy of overalls, the woodwork teachers wore brown dust coats, the metalwork teachers a bluey-grey coat and the engineers white lab coats. The engineers often taught metalwork and woodwork as well but always wore their white coats. In academic lessons all the teachers wore gowns. The only staff to wear civies were the Art and PE teachers (they gained respect by being skilled).
Asked my dad what the engineer lot used to wear and it was white lab type coats I remember the two ronnies and them wearing brown coats

Back