Workshop and Bench build pictures and some advice required!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imageel

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone -I've been lurking these forums awhile and really appreciate how informative and friendly you all are :)
I've been building a workshop cum home office for a bit - well actually over a year and have captured most of it here -
http://www.image-electric.com/home/albums-9

It's not quite up to date in that I have subsequently lined it in 8mm ply and now am about to put a proper floor into it -

When I ordered the bulk of the materials I omitted to specify I wanted 18mm ply for the floor, and the supplier delivered Eiger interlocking fibreboard, which whilst reasonably solid will not last long if I spill my cuppa on it :?
So here's the question - I bought this weekend about 21m2 of antique pine - 6ft lengths x 5.5 x1.25 inches off ebay with the view to lay this over the existing flooring - any advice as to how to fix or perhaps glue?
The pine is very dry (ex Natural History Museum -one piece has 'Topped up May 1907' chalked on its edge! ) so I don't think it's going to move much and after planing will be probably ~28mm thick,
Cheers
Ed

High Ed, I would either secret nail or just screw down. Lovely garden with some nice views. I like the shingles, are they cedar?
Mark

Thanks for the advice - I may secret nail - I didn't want to screw them since the grain is lovely (underneath the present grime!) and most of the timber is largely knot free :) Yes the shingles are Cedar
Ed

Hi Ed
Nice workshop project :)

Can I hijack your thread? I couldn't help but notice your link to Death Valley. we're passing through there in September on the way from Vegas to the Yosemeties and on to San Francisco. Any hints or must see would be most welcome.

cheers

Bob

Hi Ed
Great photos and a lovely build. You got any more photos of that tail vice? I assume there is more to come there? I'm building one myself and could do with some more pointers.

Cheers

Lons -lovely drive that -Death Valley well worth the visit - how long are you planning to stay there, or just passing through? It is huge and very inhospitable in summer so best times are v.early in the morning/late in the evening. Racetrack is a must see - quite eerie but you need an offroader for it or best really to have an RV and camp overnight, and if you break down expect $$ for recovery, no mobile phones work in the area - satellites only :eek:

Mick, I do have a few more of the vice - it was a bit of a bodge in the end (I got the travel wrong versus my dog spacing :? so had to remount it... - but it now functions as intended
I'll post some more pics over the weekend, and maybe a quick sketch that might help you get yours right 1st time :D

imageel":2wvzng4o said:
Hi everyone -I've been lurking these forums awhile and really appreciate how informative and friendly you all are :)
I've been building a workshop cum home office for a bit - well actually over a year and have captured most of it here -
http://www.image-electric.com/home/albums-9

It's not quite up to date in that I have subsequently lined it in 8mm ply and now am about to put a proper floor into it -

When I ordered the bulk of the materials I omitted to specify I wanted 18mm ply for the floor, and the supplier delivered Eiger interlocking fibreboard, which whilst reasonably solid will not last long if I spill my cuppa on it :?
So here's the question - I bought this weekend about 21m2 of antique pine - 6ft lengths x 5.5 x1.25 inches off ebay with the view to lay this over the existing flooring - any advice as to how to fix or perhaps glue?
The pine is very dry (ex Natural History Museum -one piece has 'Topped up May 1907' chalked on its edge! ) so I don't think it's going to move much and after planing will be probably ~28mm thick,
Cheers
Ed

Hi Ed,
Welcome aboard... I don't think you need all that much advice, looking at the nice job you're making of the roofing shingles.

As for your pine being dry, don't forget timber takes up and gives off moisture all the time, to a greater or lesser extent. No matter how old or dry it is, if there is damp in the atmosphere then the timber is likely to take it up. Look what happens to antique furniture because of central heating!

So I wouldn't be tempted to glue the timber down. In fact, would be tempted to keep it for making stuff with, and buy some of that rubber matting, that comes in rolls. At 18mm thick, it's ideal for workshop floors. (I'll try and find a link.)
I would be very tempted to keep that piece of timber with the note on it from 1907. It's 32 years older than me!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Equestrian-ru ... 2a1de33f7f

You can buy this stuff new, or at least unused, as it's made from reconstituted tyres.

:D

i would like to incorporate a bit on national history museum into my workshop. I think that it would make a nice feature!

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestions - I will have a look at that rubber matting - I wonder does it smell at all?
Good point re moisture, the shed is very dry and actually quite airtight - I (Oops!) didn't fit any trickle vents to the windows and when all are closed it is impossible to slam closed the shed door because of the air pressure :wink:
A couple of pics of the timber, it came as two planks held together by 3 thinner struts -I now have ~3Kg of screws removed from these!
Crud quality from my iphone but I think you get the gist, will probably plane up some at the weekend, and will share with you

pine1.jpg

pine2.jpg

Cheers
Ed

imageel":1mibbdu7 said:
Lons -lovely drive that -Death Valley well worth the visit - how long are you planning to stay there, or just passing through? It is huge and very inhospitable in summer so best times are v.early in the morning/late in the evening. Racetrack is a must see - quite eerie but you need an offroader for it or best really to have an RV and camp overnight, and if you break down expect $$ for recovery, no mobile phones work in the area - satellites only :eek:

I haven't booked the middle bit of the holiday yet as can't decide how many nights to stay in each place. 3 weeks sounds a lot but it isn't when trying to cram everything in.
We fly into Las Vegas on 14th Sept and on next morning to Zion, Bryce, Lake Powell, Grand Canyon and back to Vegas but planning either 1 or 2 nights in death valley on our way to yosemites and San Francisco( for 3 nights), so need to do a bit more homework and hopefully sort it out by next week.

I will have a look at that rubber matting - I wonder does it smell at all?

It does at first but seems to fade quite quickly, especially if the windows / doors are open for a while. I fitted it to floors and walls of a stable block I built a couple of years ago and it's still in excellent condition despite the best efforts of 2 large horses.
The smell probably changed quickly due to horse sh*t in that case :roll: :lol:

Bob

Ed,

I think the stable-matting, when new, would smell of rubber. If you buy used stable matting, then it's likely to smell of horses (To say the least).

I have rubber-lattice door-mats in my shop, and when I bought them they filled the shop with that rubbery aroma. (Not loverly!) It took about eight or nine weeks to dissipate. Strangely enough, if I sling them onto the drive to give them a wash, they smell of rubber again for a few days. So the decision is yours Ed. But that matting is comfy and warm underfoot, and at 18mm thick, it will save a chisel or plane-iron edge; maybe even a plane casting, if you dropped something precious!

Best of luck. :D

Back