workshop airline with 8mm copper?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unib

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on a more permanent air set up in my workshop, my plan is to use copper pipe from the compressor to the outlets. I have load of 8mm copper pipe which it would be good to use, but I'm a bit worried that the ID will be too small - anyone got any idea if 8mm will be OK (the air system will mainly be used for spraying), or do I need to go for 10mm pipe?

If used for spraying then I would defiantly advise against it. What sort of spray equipment and compressor do you have? Volume of air at point of use will probably become an issue as well as regulating and moisture issues. Not to mention that your air line is also a useful reservoir too.

In an ideal world, inch from compressor, (depending on how big the installation is and how many branches you have run in a circle ((like a ring main)) ) 3/4 branches to regulator, 1/2 inch in flexible to point of use with a 8mm tail to the tool or 1/2 inch straight to spray equipment.

Probably best to scrap the copper and use the money to buy some bigger pipe. Aluminium is pretty much the norm now for permanent installations with either threaded or push fit fittings.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a search around for some of the pipe you mention.

At this stage I'm not really going to look at a full ring main system in the workshop - although I'll add to it later when I have the time. The set up will go from the compressor, (50 litre unspectacular thing) and just feed the spray gun (either LVLP or Iwata AZ3) and a dusting gun. Obviously I'll run them through filters/water traps. I also believe I need to get a decent run of pipe before the actual tools, so was going to have a zig zag of pipe as the spray gun is just the other side of the wall to the compressor.

Toolstation sell the john guest push fit air pipes and fittings. It works in the same way as push fit for water but can handle higher pressures. The pipes arr a hard blue nylon.

The great thing is you could start with a basic run, along one wall and extend it later.

Thanks for the recommendations, I've been having a look at the John Guest stuff as well as Rapid Main (who also do aluminium pipe), and Sealey...

Back