Workshop Airfilters ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitBull

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I need a new workshop air filter for my new workshop (cellar) in Switzerland*. This is about the size of 2 double garages, so a big improvement on my single garage in the UK.

I just ordered an Axminster (re-badged Jet) AFS1000B online - it was a choice of this or the smaller AFS-500, but I liked the idea of more air movement plus remote control plus timer.

Anyway Axminster just called me to say they no longer supplly the AFS1000B, and would I like the CT510D instead. Since I know nothing about this machine (which is *not* a re-badged Jet model) I declined for now.

So - anybody know anything about or can recommend the CT510D, or know an alternative supplier for the AFS1000B ???

Regards.

PitBull.

* the move to Switzerland is going slowly - since getting a professional moving firm in to do the move would cost over £8000, we're doing it ourselves in stages using LBW Transit vans whenever there is enough stuff packed and ready to go - one trip down, probably another 3 to go. The next van trip (next weekend) will include all the WW machinery/tools etc, so at least I can then resume WWing :)

PitBull

Welcome to Europe! I too am a Brit abroad.

I have a double garage sized workshop with an AFS 500 http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=AFS500 fitted, and it works a dream, 3 speeds, remote, timer. (even came with free extra filters)

My double garage sized workshop also has a large 45 deg apex roof and still the filter catches the dust ( the room volume is just within it's specs), and you definitely notice when I forget to turn it on! see my album

As an axminster customer abroad I find them first class , as long as you order is less than 25kg the postage is only about 9 quid, and even for large orders (in a mad spree of machine buying I ordered 400 KG once and it was only 90 quid to send it to me), they are way cheaper than Dutch prices even with the postage.

Good luck in Switzerland

Andy

As i am setting up a new workshop i have been looking into dust extraction systems and also workshop airfilters. Are these airfilters as good as they claim?
The company i presently work for have a big industrial system which is excellent but well out of my league. So i am looking for something a little smaller.

Many thanks

Woody

Woody...

I've no experience of them other than seeing / reading about them. My shop could certainly benefit from one as the dust will testify to..

The yanks swear by them; all the units I've seen available here have pretty good air flow rates, although I suspect your hanger may need multiple units to ensure adequate coverage and air filtration rate. I figure that they have their place in an integrated DC system, using proper hoods and collection to collect as much dust at source, filters to catch as much of the stuff in the air as possible, and a good shop vac to do a regular decontamination once in a while to stay on top of the inevitable... The alternative is having to constantly wear respirators of some sort... and life's too short for that mess...

Woody,

Your shop is probably way too big for the sort of filter that Axminster and Jet sell. They also depend on little air movement other than the flow they create themselves, to establish a circulation pattern that is effective over even a moderate sized shop.

One of the best ways to keep dust down is to invest in a cartridge type filter rather than the felt bag sort, for any dust collecting equipment. Felt bags pass much more fine dust of the sort you really don't want to be breathing. Cartridge filters are more expensive but are vastly better and as a bonus, because of their larger filter area, they produce less pressure loss than the felt bags, resulting in greater suction on your dust collection system.

This site has a lot of useful data on dust collection http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Greetings,

Anybody know any alternative suppliers other than Rutlands and DB Keighley for the Jet AFS1000 for up to £300 ?

I really don't want to use Rutlands as they screwed up all 3 of my previous orders and I operate a 3-strikes-and-out policy with suppliers.

DB Keighley do have it, but don't take plastic - only cheques, and being in Switzerland I'm not in a position to send them one right now.

Regards.

PitBull.

Mike, Chris, yes i think that getting a workshop airfilter for my workshop may be a problem, unless as you say i use multiple units. There are systems on the market that will clean my size of workshop very easily, but these are factory type units and i haven't won the lottery yet.

I will keep you posted.

Many thanks

Woody

what about making a unit ?
i recall previous threads on construction ,sources of fans and filters . i had a look a the catalogue of filters ranging down to sub micron particals and in modular sizeswhich would make it quite simple to make up some sort of unit or multiples to be locatee in differing locations in your large shop,

dave w

I will be back in workshop building my filter unit with the Jet filters later thie week and will publish results and design when finished and tested.

I have just found a fan that is crying out to be built into an air cleaner, so I look forward to your results.

Bean,

No this is a blast from the past. I worked for STC (left in 1981) and this is a 19" rack cooling fan that came of a test rack when we broke it up. :)
I have used the fan for workshop ventilation by propping it in an open window frame. :D I thought it had been thrown out :( in the last move but while looking for something totaly unrelated it came back into use. :shock:

Dave i had a real stroke of luck today too ,i went out to repair an old air heater but it had a split in the heat exchanger so i asked the customer if i could keep the fan if i knocked a bit off the bill . So i will be making an air cleaner soon i hope .Still moving in at the moment :(

Must admit that I've been wondering whether to buy one or to build one. Looking at the amount of dust laying about I definately need one.
I have a few old washing machine motors lying around, plenty of ply, just add a fan and a filter and surely it'll be Bob's your uncle?
Well, that's if I can find a fan and knew how to fix it to the motor that is.

As I mentioned in a previous thread a built-in type cooker hood would be ideal to convert into a workshop filter.They can be bought for as little as £20an have an outlet that can be ducted to wherever required.

I can prolly get more fans FOC but postage would be a killer and i would like to get mine up and running to see if it works ok .

Latest posts

Back