Workshop Air Filters Are they Worth The Money?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Do workshop air filters such as those from Microlene and Dakota really make a difference, and if they do, how much of a difference do they make?
For those of you that already own one, would you say that they are worth the money that you paid for them?

I have been looking at the Axminster AFS2000, and i would like to know if any of you have this model and if so how have you found it?

What about the variants from Jet, Dakota, Axminster and Microlene, is there any good models among these?

Any advice would be great.

Regards

Woody

Woody

I've got the small Axe. My w'shop is c 100m3and it works fine. Its a temporary set up ie we are moving next year and a bigger ws is on the cards. I was initially very sceptical - now I wouldnt be without it. It picks up all manner of stuff I hadnt been aware of.

Cheers

T

Woody, I've got two workshop air filters, and it is surprising how quickly these filters become dirty; but this type of air cleaner is only useful as an addition to extraction.

One problem with filters of this type is noise; I have a small Microclean unit in my smaller workroom, but it is so noisy and annoying that I rarely use it. The larger Axminster MTM Air filter in my main workshop is much quieter and I have that running all the time I'm in the workshop.

Another consideration with these machines, especially the bigger ones, is that they move a lot of air around the room, and it can be quite chilling if you stand in the airstream for any time.

Keith

Woody
I have a Microclene-it is really useful when you are machining. Even though I have dust extractors fine dust always seems to hang in the air. I flick the filter on and I don't need to wear a dust mask. It really is worth the money-I used to regularly have sore throats from playing in the workshop. No more-enough said!! :D
Cheers
Philly :D

Hi Woody,

It is amazing just how much fine dust that you cannot see hangs in the air in a workshop, particularly if you are doing/have done any sanding.

I use a Microclene. I agree with Keith - it is a bit noisy so I turn up the radio! And I'm with Philly, those horrible sore throats in the morning are a thing of the past. Wouldn't be without the filter now.

Cheers,

Trev.

I get the feeling that you guys like them then :wink:, so i better get my flexible friend out.

As for the sore throat problem, i know exactly what you mean, but the thing that really made me think seriously about the amount of dust i maybe ingesting is seeing the layers of it that cover my machines when i go into the workshop in the morning.

I forgot to say that i looked into installing this type of filter last year, but in the end i didn't do anything about it, so i really must get it together this time.

Cheers and thanks for your advice.

Woody

Got a Microclene at Woodex. Found out later that it is actually slightly undersized for my workshop but seems to do the biz.
I used to have to give the CD player a blast of air to clear out the dust and get it to work, but this seems to be a thing of the past.
Must say though that I was surprised at how noisy it is. I was expecting something a lot quieter. I was immediately put in mind of a jet taking off when I first switched it on. :wink:

Cheers Barry, in the end i went for a couple of Axminster AFS2000's.

Martin, i am ok, and back at work. Thanks for asking.

Regards

Woody

Woody":3g7h8so4 said:
in the end i went for a couple of Axminster AFS2000's

A couple!! :shock: So your workshop is actually a hangar then!

Glad you are back at work btw.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim, yeah i needed 2 because the workshop is 50ftx40ft. I looked into getting a industrial piped system fitted last year but they wanted mega bucks.

Regards

Woody

Hi all, bit of a n00b to the board so apologies if you're sick and tired of discussing/answering this sort of question.

I have now built my first workshop and ordered my first equipment....Thanks Philly for the Xcalibur table saw review! Are they paying you?! :)

I am looking at extraction for the workshop (75m3)

Do systems like the Jet 1000 extraction system cope with larger chips as well as lower particle sizes?

I dont need to buy two seperate machines do I? Is there one that will surfice until such time as I move in my workshop to live!!! :D

Any help much appreciated lads.

Louie: be careful - there are really 3 types of system out there... :roll:

a) Coarse chip 'extractors'. These will take the large quantities of 'chunky chips' that a planer/thicknesser type of machine generates. This stuff is not so much a direct health hazard, but is generated in such huge quantitites that if you run a P/T, you're gonna need one.

b) 'Normal' extractors. For things like the tablesaw. Some (many) will do both (a) and (b) for you - I have a small record 'dustbin' style one that does. Check on the size/diameter of any hose/nozzles it comes with, with respect to your machines.

c) Air filters - the subject of this thread. These sit up out of the way hung from the rafters, and run 'in the background'. IMHO, the most important for your health. They actually circulate/clean the air in the workshop - and when you see what they trap, you'll realise why I talk about health! No use at all for attaching to the back of your tools.

Sooo, in answer to your question, yes, there's more than one type, I'm afraid.

Right so my plan is thus!

For set up, I;m going to buy a workshop type chip/dust extractor, like the Fox dual machine or the Record bin machine you described Shady and on top of all that kit, I'll buy a nice mask and some Ventalin!

Then I'll have a look around for an air filter type extractor at a later date. I;m not going to be working in there all day long every day, so I think after your info I can do without the finer dust extractor for the time being.

I just want to avoid spending my life on the end of a brush!

Thx for the info, appreciated. You like your Record bin extractor?

Yes, it takes chips from my P/T, dust from the table saw, and has a 'microfilter' bag over the motor, so finer stuff is, to some degree, trapped in there as well. (note that if you also use it to vacuum the shop, you will at some point puncture the fine filter with a screw/nail/piece of wood...)

Good value compared to some - here's a link:

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.pl?c=DUST-EXTRACTORS&p=RSDE1&a=i

I think this's the newest incarnation - mines a good couple of years old, and came in blue, not green, but it looks identical in function/spec. Easy to cart around the shop, too. (edit - I bought the accessory kit for my hand tools:

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.pl?c=EXTRACTOR-ACCESSORIES&p=RSDE-A&a=i

Shady, i may be wrong but i think that Record changed their livery colour from blue and yellow to green and yellow when they changed their warranty from 2 to 5 years.

Another bit of useless information.

Regards

Woody

Woody,

Hey I might be wrong as well but I think that the Blue and Yellow livery denotes Record Power Select which is their more 'light use/ hobby' line of products - hence the shorter warranty times. You would think that this nomenclature would indicate a more premium version but it is indeed the other way around.

FWIW the Record 5 year warranty is only as good as their supply chain. I had a RP DX that went kaboom and although covered under warranty they couldn't guarantee to replace it within 2 months. Not so useful! :shock: Had to buy another one - surprisingly I chose not buy Record!

Cheers

Tim

What did you chose over the Record Tim?

There seem to be so many of these extraction units available, its hard to know what to buy.

Back