Workshop Advise Welcome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Your knowledge welcome on workshop machinery. I have a workshop 9 feet x 15 feet and asking what have you used to prevent rust on tools. My questions are as follows:

a) What make of machine wax have you used to polish machine surfaces so they are smooth to run?
b) Do you use protective covers to cover your machines? (band saw / bobbin / thicknesser /other) Have you made your own covers--if so what material used and perhaps spray with WD40 to help prevent rust? Can you buy machine covers? If so where from?
c) Use 'WD40 Fast Acting Degreaser' to clean off say a new bandsaw bed? Have you used the product to good effect?
d) Do you use a Dehumidifier to collect moisture from your workshop--to good effect? If so any recommendations--size-- for a small workshop?
e) 'Vapour Corrosion Inhibitors' (Saw this on a Youtube workshop site.) They are sheets that you put into a drawer that admit a vapour with hand tools to prevent rust. Do you use them, if so what am I looking for?--can you buy sheets or is it in a roll?
d) Do you use Mineral Spirit to wipe machine beds--perhaps 2 or 3 times a year? If so what type mineral spirit?

If you can help on any of the above questions it would be most helpful. Many thanks

I have a metal and woodmachine shop......
with full sized equipment...plus the higher end of the DIYmachines......
all the big machines get a 11watt curley wurly bulb in an old fashioned inspection light.......
all under old duvet or blankets.....
the bulbs are on 24/7 from sep-march depending on weather......
all the metal machines have a water based coolant ...
none of the machines have gone rusty....
on the pl/thickneser the bulb is in the hole of the thicknesser.....
the machines really dont get warm but never any condensation....
I've done this for over 10 years.....
never noticed anything on the electric bill.....
if I know I will not use the machines for a few months I'll give it a spray with WD....but some say thats not so good.....
it works for me.....

as for a degreaser I just use an aerosol brake cleaner.....just conveinient.....

should say my place was a rebuilt 17th century water mill (u cant get damper than that) and the workshop was basically open.....
could never be heated...

My woodworking machines get a wipe over with a wd40 soaked rag from time to time & a wipe with an old candle stub if doing a big cutting session, thats about it. The machines that get covered up every night are my Harrison 140 Lathe & Arboga Milling machine, as both are usually covered in cutting oil i dont want wood, fibreglass & metal grinding dust all over them making grinding paste! The workshop is very dry & insulated so rust isnt an issue.

I just used old towels and tea towels (y)
20210123_144645.jpg
20210123_144642.jpg

Your knowledge welcome on workshop machinery. I have a workshop 9 feet x 15 feet and asking what have you used to prevent rust on tools. My questions are as follows:

a) What make of machine wax have you used to polish machine surfaces so they are smooth to run?
b) Do you use protective covers to cover your machines? (band saw / bobbin / thicknesser /other) Have you made your own covers--if so what material used and perhaps spray with WD40 to help prevent rust? Can you buy machine covers? If so where from?
c) Use 'WD40 Fast Acting Degreaser' to clean off say a new bandsaw bed? Have you used the product to good effect?
d) Do you use a Dehumidifier to collect moisture from your workshop--to good effect? If so any recommendations--size-- for a small workshop?
e) 'Vapour Corrosion Inhibitors' (Saw this on a Youtube workshop site.) They are sheets that you put into a drawer that admit a vapour with hand tools to prevent rust. Do you use them, if so what am I looking for?--can you buy sheets or is it in a roll?
d) Do you use Mineral Spirit to wipe machine beds--perhaps 2 or 3 times a year? If so what type mineral spirit?

If you can help on any of the above questions it would be most helpful. Many thanks
Do you actually have a damp problem or are you just being cautious? If there is a prob maybe look at the building first - damp source, insulation, ventilation, heat.
In a dry building which is draught proof and warmer than the outside air you shouldn't have a rust prob at all.
a) Candle wax for low friction - just a zig zag scribble every now and then
b) Covers - I don't myself, I don't need them. I suppose it depends on where the moisture is coming from
c) Clean a bandsaw table with white spirit.
d) Dehumidifier is a last resort if nothing else helps
e) if you put stuff in reasonably draught proof drawers/boxes/cupboards you shouldn't have a rust prob unless the whole place and the cupboard is damp to start with
d) occasional clean down a machine bed if it looks as though it needs it, with white spirit and wire wool if necessary (resin etc)

Yeap tea towels stolen when shmbo isn't looking with a spray of GT85... Cheaper and better than wd40.

As for covers awning material would be ideal not to heavy to manhandle but enough to give a little protection. Find someone with a machine you them up off paper Pattens

Cheers James

I use soft beeswax on tables and beds and cover with cardboard when away for a few months in winter. No sign of rust after several years in unheated detached garage.

Hi,

The best advice I can give is to use your tools and machinery.

I cover some of my machines to keep dirt and dust off them. One thing I don't do is to wax any clamping surfaces like woodturning lathe bed ways; my Graduate doubles up for metal spinning so needs maximum clamping for the tool rest; on my Lorch metal lathe a clean oily rag does the job but I run my machines even when not needed just to keep them in good working order. Many woodworkers don't understand what an oil can is used for; I've restored many old machines that looked like they've never seen an oil can since they left the factory. If machines and tools are to be unused for a length of time then the cheapest option is a wipe over with an oily rag but safely dispose of any such rags knowing if left piled they can self combust.

Electric motors are taken for granted but need looking after too; I have quite a few motors stored and occasionally I'll give each shaft a turn;

Maintaining Motors in Storage - JE Bearing

Kind regards, Colin.

Back