Worksharp Disc Sources

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dp341

Established Member
Reaction score
This may be obvious to anyone else, but it took me a fair amount of searching to find a source of suitable abrasives for the Worksharp that weren't either ridiculously expensive or available only in such large quantities that I could never hope to use them. I tried some cheap (and not so cheap) red alox discs which did not last long enough to make them worthwhile, I looked at sources of Norton and Mirka but couldn't find small enough quantities.

I finally found some Abracs PSA discs on Ebay in various grits and sold in 10s and 25s. Having used a couple, these seem to do the job well and last a good amount of time. These are good for regrinding (using the wide blade attachment and a honing guide) but don't come in fine enough grits for honing the secondary bevel. 10 of each grit will last me a very long time.

I find I don't get through the finer grits all that quickly, honing doesn't seem to take much of a toll on the paper. So have been reasonably happy to use the packs of worksharp branded norton paper, the honing pack can be got for £12.41 from a company called Tizaro, still expensive for the amount you get but nearly half what Rutlands charge. If anyone's found a better option I'd be interested to hear.

Hope this is some use to someone.

I've been through the same loop as you, and you have done better than me. I didn't find the Tizaro site. Postage is a bit high, but all-up, it's still a lot better than Rutlands. Thanks very much for the tips.

For mine I just buy the 150mm Hermes sticky disks from Axminster all I have to do is cut the hole for the arbour. They cost about £5 for a pack of 10 and they do an assorted pack too.

Mick

I got some 60 grit or maybe 80 I can't remember, discs from toolstation. I think they are silverline and I just cut the hole in the middle. I also made a few 12mm mdf discs rather than buying more of the glass discs.

There's no problem getting other brand discs in the coarser grits (say down to around 200) and punching a hole yourself. I've done this with the Silverline ones, although they are rather short-lived, and adhere rather too strongly, leaving a bit of a mess to clear up when detached. Still they're OK rough work.

The problem comes finding discs in the finer grits, and in the honing grades.

chippy1970":2bwg97e3 said:
I got some 60 grit or maybe 80 I can't remember, discs from toolstation. I think they are silverline and I just cut the hole in the middle. I also made a few 12mm mdf discs rather than buying more of the glass discs.

Yes, it's those sorts I'd tried, didn't seem to last long compared to the Abracs ones (which you also need to make the centre hole in).

MickCheese":1tfxe9oi said:
For mine I just buy the 150mm Hermes sticky disks from Axminster all I have to do is cut the hole for the arbour. They cost about £5 for a pack of 10 and they do an assorted pack too.

Mick

But they only go to 180g - so only useful for rough grinding ...

Why not try rockler in the states ?

They ship international and it may work out cheaper.

dp341":1m0qjor9 said:
MickCheese":1m0qjor9 said:

Mick

But they only go to 180g - so only useful for rough grinding ...

They do 60 - 180 but your right only good for rough grinding. Sorry.

Mick

I just bought a WS3000 myself to get it before the price at rutlands went back up to three times what they cost in the USA. I spent a fair while looking for paper for it before I went for it, and found a US site that stocks compatible paper. I spoke to them and they're willing to ship over for $17 odds. the packs are 25 sheets 5 each: 80, 120, 220, 400, 1000 grits . I can't post the link because I'm new, so if you look up the site at woodworkingshop.com check for abrasive disks, specific machine, Worksharp, there's a pack 6"X1/2" Center Hole Stearate Psa 25Pk.

If anyone is interested, we might do a bulk buy and share the shipping of a fair heap of the packs? I've been in touch with them a few times and the lass Melanie in the customer support there is very impressively helpful, she even chased the directors for a better shipping price when their first effort came up as $70 odds for normal mail costs.

Hope this is helpful.

Hey, I just noticed I can post links now so here: http://www.woodworkingshop.com/category.aspx?id=21&f7=WORKSHARP

Nic.

Some useful looking tips on youtube for the worksharp, search for stumpy nubs workshop.
Havent tried them myself though.

Thanks Kevin, just ordered the 800 grit as they'll be a very useful compliment to what I already have.

Back