workmate v vice's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmab9

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok another problem now ,as I want to make kuksa's, bowl's vase's(not on a Lathe) wooden trays what's my best option workmate or vice's and what is the best make to get ?

mmab9":2g41ymqs said:
Ok another problem now ,as I want to make kuksa's, bowl's vase's(not on a Lathe) wooden trays what's my best option workmate or vice's and what is the best make to get ?
Don't bother with a Workmate they are useless.
A good vice fitted to a solid bench is much better. Have a look at Paul Seller's bench making videos for a very traditional design which happens to be the best and simplest.
Or skip benches altogether and go for Robin Wood's "Bowl mate" (scroll down)

bowlm8-1.jpg

You hold things in the space with a wedge or two, or rest them on the end notch whilst you hold with one hand and chop with the other. All sorts of variations are possible

the trouble is that there will be no weight to the base of the assembly so it may be unstable.

Speaking (well...typing...) from bitter experience, a Workmate is OK as a sawhorse, but no good at all for planing - it's the wrong height, and nowhere near heavy and rigid enough. Nothing beats a good heavy bench, in the end; especially one that is just the right working height for what you're doing.

already have a work bench this is an extra for working outdoors also have no room in shed for 360 working

Back