Workmate Portable Folding Workbench--Vise Wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I want to put--not permanent, to take on and off--a vise for light work. To attach to a Workmate portable style bench. Not to small, not to large a vise. Do you use such a vise? Can anybody recommend?

I'm guessing a metal working vise?

I'd suggest a record or Parkinson vise for a quality product.

4" is a good size 6" are very large and too heavy to be lifting off a workmate.

Record Marples RM 2075 might fit the bill.
Small but handy on a rotary base. It will hold metal for filing, etc
You could drill the workmate top for mounting bolts and use large wing nuts or kipp handles to make it easily removable. I have one mounted to a square of 18mm ply and just fix it with quick clamps when I need it.
They are no longer made so head to ebay for a used one and spare polymer or metal jaws

Otherwise a 3 or 4 inch metalwork style but I still think a swivel base is a good idea. Your workmate will fail before the swivel base.

Workmates aren't strong enough to hammer on. I assume you don't want a vice to hold parts while you beat on them.

I inherited an Axminster clamp-on wood working vice from my father which I have attached to a few things including a workmate. Not sure if they still stock them.
I also have a metal working vice which used to be bolted to a wooden base board with a offcut of 2x2 attached underneath so it could be clamped in a workmate. That got a lot of use until it was attached to a proper workbench.

You can use virually any metal or modellers vice for light work like that, even a cheapie will do though you should get a better one on facebook market place. Just attach the vice to a wood base that will clamp into the jaws of the workmate. I'd suggest extending it forward of the workmate for convenience, pretty simple to do with a short lenth of 2x2 ( or whatever ) and a scrap of ply or MDF

EDIT
Lidl have an alloy clamp on swivel vice for £9 at the minute, at least in our local shop as I was poking around only an hour ago while the missus had her hair cut, looks pretty decent for light work.

Last edited:
I used a top off an old washing machine (but anything similar would do) to give me a 60x60 flat white table. Bit of 3x2 screwed across the middle which gets gripped by the jaws. To that I have fixed a small cheap unbranded vice, I know its rubbish quality but fine for holding stuff for soldering and fine work. Good for assembly and circuit board work and so on, any small parts I put on the surface won't fall through holes.

I’ve found an old Stanley 702 vice quite handy for use with a workmate.
I’ve also got a Silverline Multi Angle Vice and have been quietly impressed with it (about £13 I think).

Just bought this beauty earlier after reading this thread. :cool:

FireShot Capture 040 - USED RECORD_MARPLES SWIVEL BENCH VICE - eBay - www.ebay.co.uk.jpg

I want to put--not permanent, to take on and off--a vise for light work. To attach to a Workmate portable style bench. Not to small, not to large a vise. Do you use such a vise? Can anybody recommend?
I can recommend this one, mount it on a plywood base and clamp in your workmate vice.
7F7675CC-272A-40D8-AC16-9EB32A0528D9.jpeg

It is also good to put a rotating strap on the bottom of the piece that clamps in the workmate jaws so the metalwork vise cannot tip forward if you open it too far or have something overhanging the front.

Back