Working with English Yew

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeG.":38gbseup said:
Riot van":38gbseup said:
........I've researched a lot into every step of the build process and have all the tools required..........

Yet you missed any research into whether timber for furniture needs to be seasoned or not. :roll:
If you make this so called 'river' table stuff with unseasoned or even part seasoned yew and then take the finished piece into a warm, centrally heated house, the resin will stay put but the timber won't. You'll find it will part company with the resin as it inevitably moves when it rapidly dries out - Rob

Trainee neophyte":261bba4r said:
…..

That's it! I'm taking up mine clearance in Angola as a hobby - much safer than this woodworking lark!

I take this as a humorous comment: but, if you have ever been in a situation and discomfort where the Doctor is deciding whether you need to be admitted to hospital because of your severe reaction to wood I can assure you it is not to be recommended.

Even with the use of High End PPE and the precautionary handling of wood debris it can remind you to walk away from the shop and it for a couple of days.

Going back to the OP's original question; Yew is one of the more obnoxious native woods as far as toxicity in use, for me anyway, it does not prevent me using it extensively but does need additional care regarding personal contact, once sealed with a sanding sealer and final finished I do not get a reaction from handling it.

Some notes from the forum on the how why wood and other substances hit you and precautions.

phil.p":1yvlcwxs said:
Riot van":1yvlcwxs said:
Did I say that? No that's not what I said.

You did . It is.

Do you understand the concept of Time? That events can take place in the same space at different times you understand this simple concept yes?

I didn't say I'd be making a table and spraying stuff at the same time use some common sense. You seem to have a real problem with someone simply wanting to try new stuff out.

Thanks to everyone who added useful advice unfortunately seems some feel the need to tear down and sh#t on a beginner simply asking for advice.

I simply said I aim to have a go making resin tables and practice until I achieve good results No need for snooty, elitist coments. We all had to start somewhere.

I use my workshop as a paint stripping/prepping and spray booth quite often ...

Use - present tense. If you don't know what a present tense is, Google is your friend.
I have no problem with your trying out anything - I just have a problem with people writing things and immediately denying they've written them.
Go ahead, try what you wish. I really don't give a monkey's. :D

phil.p":1quiwy3v said:
I use my workshop as a paint stripping/prepping and spray booth quite often ...

Use - present tense. If you don't know what a present tense is, Google is your friend.
I have no problem with your trying out anything - I just have a problem with people writing things and immediately denying they've written them.
Go ahead, try what you wish. I really don't give a monkey's. :D

use my workshop as a paint stripping/prepping and spray booth quite often

Use quite often

Same as I use sometimes

I use it quite often as in not the exact same time I'll be making a table it's pretty obvious pal

I often weld cars do I have to explain that I don't do it whilst driving them on the M1?

Is there actually any money to be made from river tables anymore? It seems like everyone and their grandmother is making the things at the moment and at prices were there can barely be any profit in it, if any. Like with many woodworking fashion fads, I think the ship to make good money with it may have sailed about a year ago, now it's just "Oh look, another river table".

I'm pretty confident in my woodworking ability and I've done a fair bit of work with epoxy resin over the years, I don't think I could confidently say that I could make a river table that won't fall apart. There's just way too many variables to go completely pear-shaped.

I think that is an interesting question. There are certainly plenty about and every other YouTube video seems to be about making them.

We need a dining table making at some point, and possibly a coffee table. I may look at live edged/urban salvaged wood but I am no longer feeling the love for a river table. Each to their own though, they were cool and unusual for a while. I see plenty in woodworking YouTube's, but most of the public don't watch these so maybe the market hasn't hit saturation quite yet.

Trevanion":247yqoe8 said:
Is there actually any money to be made from river tables anymore? It seems like everyone and their grandmother is making the things at the moment and at prices were there can barely be any profit in it, if any. Like with many woodworking fashion fads, I think the ship to make good money with it may have sailed about a year ago, now it's just "Oh look, another river table".

I'm pretty confident in my woodworking ability and I've done a fair bit of work with epoxy resin over the years, I don't think I could confidently say that I could make a river table that won't fall apart. There's just way too many variables to go completely pear-shaped.

Dunno I'm just going to give it a go and see won't learn anything without trying. Plus river tables was just one idea I'm thinking of trying.

In any case I'm only aiming to attempt small coffee tables and coasters not a 12 foot conference table. If it ends as a cracked flaking mess then it's a learning experience

Riot van":27ep8lgp said:
If it ends as a cracked flaking mess then it's a learning experience

More power to your elbow! I don't think I could stomach the cost of mess-ups with epoxy.

Riot van":vih8hsgp said:
Thanks to everyone who added useful advice unfortunately seems some feel the need to tear down and sh#t on a beginner simply asking for advice.

I simply said I aim to have a go making resin tables and practice until I achieve good results No need for snooty, elitist coments. We all had to start somewhere.

I think people are trying to warn you that yew is a difficult timber to work with and point out that lots of people are making river tables. You could end up with lots of very expensive firewood.
I would try and find some well seasoned timber to practice with before trying yew.
And don't forget to post some pictures.

Pete

I asked previously (I guess you missed it) what sort of undercarriage you plan to make for these table tops? Are you planning on making something of timber, or perhaps something of steel?

I'm also curious as to how you plan to flatten the boards planned for the top.

MikeG.":d6dcpesb said:
I asked previously (I guess you missed it) what sort of undercarriage you plan to make for these table tops? Are you planning on making something of timber, or perhaps something of steel?

I'm also curious as to how you plan to flatten the boards planned for the top.

I have a couple of designs using steel and some using timber I plan to use a thickness planer to level the boards and will use kiln dried wood.

Racers":8xtg5m6b said:
Riot van":8xtg5m6b said:

I think people are trying to warn you that yew is a difficult timber to work with and point out that lots of people are making river tables. You could end up with lots of very expensive firewood.
I would try and find some well seasoned timber to practice with before trying yew.
And don't forget to post some pictures.

Pete

Maybe but no one learnt anything by not trying . I've never said it was easy or that I expect perfect results immediately.

I'm just a beginner wanting to have a bash, practice and learn something new bizarrely for some reason this seems to have really annoyed some users (aren't these forms exactly for seeking advice, sharing knowledge)

MikeG.":32l0zi1e said:
And attaching the top to the undercarriage?

I don't believe it to be an insurmountable problem.

Threaded inserts, epoxy, brackets etc same way every single tutorial/Internet build log I've seen uses. I could also experiment with various methods on small scale mock ups.

I could seek advice on a forum haha :D :D just joking pal best not do that might anger the woodworking Gods

You're really not helping yourself now.

Edit: The edited message looks a bit better, definitely less condescending than the previous two iterations.

Spare a thought for all the bowyers that must have choked to death making the bows the English used at Crecy and Agincourt; no-one ever seems to mention those poor folk.

Back