Working with Bamboo ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britman

Chip of the old block
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
So I need to make myself a new computer desk and originally I was going to make it out of Birch Ply but then I saw a desk that had a bamboo top and I thought "ohh that looks tasty"

So now the plan has changed and I'd going to make it out of bamboo.

Having never worked with it before what should I be aware off?
In the void of my head I imagine that it might be very prone to splintering when cross cutting?

I made my campervan interior from bamboo ply, partially CNCd, partially hand finished.

Its v nice but quite hard to work with (at least for me vs birch ply). Yes, splinters a lot on cross cut, v hard on tools too. I found repairs difficult (hard to colour match filler). Might just be my skill level.

Great finish tho + stable & hardwearing in a difficult environment.

I made my campervan interior from bamboo ply, partially CNCd, partially hand finished.

Its v nice but quite hard to work with (at least for me vs birch ply). Yes, splinters a lot on cross cut, v hard on tools too. I found repairs difficult (hard to colour match filler). Might just be my skill level.

Great finish tho + stable & hardwearing in a difficult environment.

is it lighter weight than other ply?

I recently cut some bog standard ply across the grain for a camper conversion and put duct tape where I was jigsawing and it greatly reduced tearout.

Cheers James

Haven't seen ply but I have some bamboo flooring which I like. It is quite hard but as others have said, hard on tools; that will be because it has a high silica content. I have used some left over "planks" to make a bathroom waste bin/loo roll holder and was pleased with the result. Takes a good finish but is subject to quite significant colour change as a result of exposure to light, but then, so are most pale woods including birch.

I would say it is comparable in weight to birch ply, maybe a little lighter. One definite plus is its sutainability, being a fast-growing grass rather than wood although I suspect the carbon footptint of its manufacture might be greater than birch ply.

Jim

Back