Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Working with Bamboo ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Britman

Chip of the old block
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
So I need to make myself a new computer desk and originally I was going to make it out of Birch Ply but then I saw a desk that had a bamboo top and I thought "ohh that looks tasty"

So now the plan has changed and I'd going to make it out of bamboo.

Having never worked with it before what should I be aware off?
In the void of my head I imagine that it might be very prone to splintering when cross cutting?

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
OT but where have you found it for sale?

RobTy

Reaction score
I made my campervan interior from bamboo ply, partially CNCd, partially hand finished.

Its v nice but quite hard to work with (at least for me vs birch ply). Yes, splinters a lot on cross cut, v hard on tools too. I found repairs difficult (hard to colour match filler). Might just be my skill level.

Great finish tho + stable & hardwearing in a difficult environment.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I made my campervan interior from bamboo ply, partially CNCd, partially hand finished.

Its v nice but quite hard to work with (at least for me vs birch ply). Yes, splinters a lot on cross cut, v hard on tools too. I found repairs difficult (hard to colour match filler). Might just be my skill level.

Great finish tho + stable & hardwearing in a difficult environment.
is it lighter weight than other ply?

Britman

Chip of the old block
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
OT but where have you found it for sale?
Well, finding retailers with stock isn't easy.

Have stock but It isn't cheap.

Is more reasonable on price but have very limited stock.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently cut some bog standard ply across the grain for a camper conversion and put duct tape where I was jigsawing and it greatly reduced tearout.

Cheers James

yetloh

Established Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen ply but I have some bamboo flooring which I like. It is quite hard but as others have said, hard on tools; that will be because it has a high silica content. I have used some left over "planks" to make a bathroom waste bin/loo roll holder and was pleased with the result. Takes a good finish but is subject to quite significant colour change as a result of exposure to light, but then, so are most pale woods including birch.

I would say it is comparable in weight to birch ply, maybe a little lighter. One definite plus is its sutainability, being a fast-growing grass rather than wood although I suspect the carbon footptint of its manufacture might be greater than birch ply.

Jim