Working practices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I fitted a new kitchen in my flat last year. Part of the instal needed the fabrication of alternative cabinets and over two visits to back home (where the workshop is) I re-engineered and built the cabinets. Not particularly time-efficient.

Moving on to now, I'm refitting the bathroom (hiding all the pipework behind false walls etc) and about to embark on fitting a new kitchen and bathroom in the flat above mine (total refurbishment project). As my intention is to make this one source of revenue I came to the conclusion that ferrying stuff back and forth between home and flat (240 mile round trip) was not cost-effective and so I decided that everything should be done on site.

So the thicknesser (Delta) is on site and also the Ryobi table saw. Now both of these could be considered contractor/site machines and so it makes sense that I've done what I've done. But now, of course, back home in the workshop I have no thicknesser (not that much of a problem) and no table saw. And my car is boot-space challenged and so it's not feasible to load these back up at the weekends (and anyway I'm a bit of a lazy b****r and would rather leave them on site)

So what do you guys do (especially those of you who do this for a living)? Have you got a separate TS for site work and keep a 'better' TS in the workshop?

Do you keep some tools specifically for site work (I'm thinking maybe a ROS for sanding plaster etc...and another one for sanding down your latest piece of hand made furniture)?

So I'm curious as to what folks do?

I'm lucky in that most of my work is local.

For site I find that a cordless circ saw and straight edge will do 95% of what a site TS will do but all the main machining of carcases is done before I get to site anyway.

I do have an Elu flip over saw but it tends to stay in the workshop most of the time, bit on the heavy side, have a separate mitre saw so not worth taking the Elu just for rip cuts.

Jason

At the risk of repeating Jason's words again, I do the same. I make as much as possible in the workshop and do only final fitting on site.

I have a big DW SCMS and it makes my heart sink when I know it needs to go on site - technically portable but no fun to get upstairs.

Even though I have done some distant work, it still makes sense (to me) to make all the stuff and then rent the appropriate vehicle to take it to the site.

Cheers

Tim

Back