Working hours experiment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Please note: I'd like this thread to stay so if we can try and avoid politics.

I'm trying a little social expoeriment at work.
Currently the guys work 5 days 38hr week.

Due to much discussion over the past week on reducing the working week to 32hrs, I thought I'd give it a little go.
Not to 32hrs but letting the guys go at lunch on a friday, this reduces the week to 36.5 hrs.

Trial is 2 months, at the end my decision to continue is final, no discussion.
Productivity must be maintained.
Only guys with 1 year of service get the extra time off (all at present qualify)
Pay is still for offical 38hrs week, therefore overtime rate is the same. But starts after 36.5 hrs, instead of 38hrs.
Partial flexitime already exists.

How do you think it will go?

"Productivity must be maintained."

I'd change that to :

"Productivity and quality must be maintained"

So are you expecting them to do the same amount of work in 36.5 as 38?

Were I worked we had this.
I think most folks thought it was a very good perk.
And the Friday commute home was a bit easier.
The proviso was the boss could require you to be at work all day Friday if there was urgent work to complete.

Personally rather than winding down (all of the day) on Fridays I was more productive during the morning knowing I was soon to be away.

At one time, we could not start work until 8am and had to be there until 5.
That changed gradually until most of us started between 7-7.30 and could leave after 4pm. That alone saved me 6 hours a week commute time, for no extra cost to my employee.

So long as your folks understand "swings and roundabouts", both parties can profit.

transatlantic":1urg53dt said:
"Productivity must be maintained."

I'd change that to :

"Productivity and quality must be maintained"

So are you expecting them to do the same amount of work in 36.5 as 38?

Good point.

Yes the last part of your post, is the aim.

I think most of the experiments along these lines have been successful, so I would assume you would have a reasonable result. The only issue I can see is having a clear measure of productivity.

My boss is considering going the other way and I know its already having a negative effect; staff turnover is about to increase and no more work will get done than before. I have done 'job and knock' on Fridays and that really encourages people to pull their finger out rather than fanny around.

It'll be interesting to see how it works out for you.

I think this should work fine as it's been proven time and again that more hours worked does not translate directly into more work produced. (an old foreman I used to work with always argued that there is only 8 hours decent work in a person each day, any more was a waste of money)

One question though, what happens when you have someone new start and they don't qualify for the Friday afternoon off?

Who do they work with as I presume you have some sort of "no lone working" policy in place in the workshop?
Is there anyone on hand to supervise or advise the then newly joined and likely less experienced employee?

Bob,

Well done for giving it a go.

I'd agree with Mike on measuring what you consider is 'acceptable' productivity. Set that out very clearly so all understand what's required of them.

I've been involved in quite a few arguments about the acceptability issue in the past and trying to remove subjectivity is important (and difficult!).

If you are currently employing any urine removal experts then they are the ones who will find any loopholes!

Good luck with the experiment.

will1983":10urmb9b said:
One question though, what happens when you have someone new start and they don't qualify for the Friday afternoon off?

Who do they work with as I presume you have some sort of "no lone working" policy in place in the workshop?
Is there anyone on hand to supervise or advise the then newly joined and likely less experienced employee?

LOL, your assuming the bosses go home, unfortunately not, I'll be here till 5pm

Good on you for trying it. I have always thought that our traditional approach tends to reward long hours. Judging employees not so much by how much they achieve, as how long it takes them to do it, is surely all wrong.

stuartpaul":f67lrwhu said:
If you are currently employing any urine removal experts then they are the ones who will find any loopholes!

Good luck with the experiment.

All good uns at present, hence the long service, I'm very good at making the peoples working life very pleasant or very difficult depending on what they give back.

Interesting. I think short term you will see no loss of productivity, because it is a perk. Longer term, things may slack off, because it is just normal working hours.

If they can do 38 hours work in 35, or however many, why haven't they been doing it up until now? (Is that an unfair question?)

With a smaller, tightly-knit team, this could work out very well. I think problems can arise in larger organisations, especially when supervision is a bit slack.

I worked for many years in a large engineering design organisation. It was very noticeable that some people were 'productive' most of the time, and some were - erm - rather less so. It's easy to 'disappear' in a big organisation, but not in a smaller team.

I'd be worried that people will rush the work, and standards will slip.

So you might be as productive as before, i.e. getting the same amount of work done, ...but will it be to the same quality?

If people were being very productive previously, and standards were high previously, then you can't expect to maintain that whilst also reducing hours. Something has to give.

Does anyone else remember the discussions often heard in the 70's regarding what we will do with the increased leisure time that we will all inevitably have at our disposal in the future?... Im still waiting!
However it is good to hear employers considering the welfare of employees.
I think some "other"(?) European countries regularly finish earlier on Fridays.

Trainee neophyte":2tgiry15 said:
If they can do 38 hours work in 35, or however many, why haven't they been doing it up until now? (Is that an unfair question?)

Not at all. I'm not a slave driver, I really want a happy workforce.
Hence we have a breakfast on a Thursday morning (sausage and bacon rolls, tea and coffee) on work time, and still have morning tea break just an hour later.
I like the guys to have banter, laugh and joke. I've worked in a factory on peace work and the atmosphere was horrendous. Don't give a dung about someone elses work if it don't affect you. I also have flexitime as it benefits everyone to a degree.

Each job is entwined with the next, eg, if one is making doors and one is making frames and one is making carcases, then I'd expect them all to be finished about the same time, if someone is slacking it is obvious in a group of 5 or 6. I also do bonuses if we are doing well which creates an incentive.
I have a great team at present, I've also had a terrible atmosphere in the workshop less than 4 years ago due to a couple of bad eggs. Look after the good ones is now my motto.

transatlantic":2w7s76hc said:
I'd be worried that people will rush the work, and standards will slip.

So you might be as productive as before, i.e. getting the same amount of work done, ...but will it be to the same quality?

If people were being very productive previously, and standards were high previously, then you can't expect to maintain that whilst also reducing hours. Something has to give.

To some extent I agree, however, I shall try to emphasis the reduction in hours means maybe a bit less chit chat and banter and a bit more work focused.

In a perfect world, this would work fine. In reality, I'm not so sure. I hope some institution does some experiments like this.

Dr Bob

Nice to hear of a boss who looks on staff as one of his assets, not a disposable item.

Many years ago, in construction management, we used to finish at about 1.30 on a Friday, go down to a lovely little pub, have a pint and a filled bap (egg, bacon and black pudding was a favorite). After this some would wander back to the office if documents needed to be got out by CoP, the rest would carry on home.

Long Gone days I'm afraid.

Phil

Back