Workholding, low bench, padsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
This little video popped up in my YouTube suggestions today. It's only three minutes long and I think it's worth a look since it illustrates several topics which have been discussed on here.

https://youtu.be/ErEo0a4-r58

It shows a man (presumably Chinese?) working on a low bench, like the Roman ones Chris Schwarz has been researching and writing about. He solves the problem of holding the workpiece steady by using a simple loop of what looks like pajama cord, pressing down on it with one foot and releasing the pressure to change position. It's a method that Jacob has suggested more than once, as being quick and effective.

He's making a little stool which unfolds from a solid block, reminiscent of the "Roubo bookstand" as made by Roy Underhill.
In doing so, he shows how a stiff padsaw can sometimes be exactly the right tool for the job.

I hope you like it and find it interesting.

Very clever. I can't help thinking that starting with a block twice as thick, a much simpler design would have served :lol:

Bookmarked for watching later - Thanks Andy ;)

I've been meaning to build a low bench for a while; they look ideal for working away from the workshop, e.g. in the garden or doing DIY in the house

I built one of those so call low benches. It's more of a saw horse with a broad top. Really handy for all sorts of stuff. Makes a great hop up and seat.

Back