Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1245

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, started making my first workbench. Made a few small projects with dark side methods on a small rickety bench and realised i needed something better.

All is going well so far, legs and stretchers all made up (bolted M&T joints).

It's not going to be too petty to look at, but it should work very well.

Now for my question lol.

I am making the top out of 3 sheets of 18mm ply, laminated together, before putting a larger skirt around it.

I was thinking of using a 30 min pu glue, smeared all over between the layers, and driving screws up for the bottom to keep it all tight and together, being carefull not to get them in the way of dog holes etc.

Is this a suitable way of going about it, or are there better ways? also, once the glue has set, can the screws be removed, or is it better to keep them there?

Cheers.

Matt.

Hi Matt,

I wouldn't bother going to the expense of using a poly eurathane glue over such a wide area. I assume the bench is permanantly indoors so there is no problem of it having to be weatherproof or anything so a general PVA with the screws from underneath as you suggest will suffice. Also, due to the PU glue having a foaming/expanding characteristics it sometimes tends to force apart the mating surfaces if not clamped well during drying.

cheers,
jonny.

Matt,

I would use a contact adhesive. Get one that allows a certain amount of repositioning.

When ready, press and beat the centre section outwards, using a mallet and block of wood.

The reason I recommend contact cement over a woodworking adhesive is that unless you have a vacuum press or similar, it is very difficult to apply the necessary amount of pressure to the middle of the sandwich. Clamping round the edge doesn't do it. And making up a bunch of cauls to allow the use of normal clamps for this one-off job is a real pain.

The expense isn't a problem, due to my job i am able to get glues etc at cost price (hows that for a staff discount), i was just thinking that it would offer a stronger bond over pva, or is it just overkill? also i was hoping to remove the screws once it is all set, or would you leave them in?

Matt.

The reason I recommend contact cement over a woodworking adhesive is that unless you have a vacuum press or similar, it is very difficult to apply the necessary amount of pressure to the middle of the sandwich.

I was hoping the screws would offer the right amount of pressure in the centre of the board, or is it no no.

Matt.

Matt,

Yes, screws would help pull the layers together but I think they would need to be placed quite close together to avoid purely localised pressure. You could leave them in place too - unless you plan on putting holes in the bench for eg dogs. (My own bench has holes at 6 inch centres for this purpose)

Back