Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Shadowfax

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2003
Messages
659
Reaction score
0
Location
East Sussex
Do any of you folks have experience of Axminster's workbench range?
I have been asked by someone at work if one of these would make a good Christmas present for her husband!
What do I say - I have no idea, but a solid beech workbench seems like a pretty splendid present to me!
If these are absolute dogs and I say they are brilliant I could be in big trouble. On the other hand I could do the guy a real favour if he ends up with a nice bench that will last forever.
I have never been close to an Axminster bench so I wondered if you can provide me with a suitable answer. Not sure how long I can hang this one out before I have to give my "valued opinion". Her words, not mine!
Help!

SF
 

Shadowfax

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2003
Messages
659
Reaction score
0
Location
East Sussex
Thanks for that, Alf. Well worth reading again.
I know I should say " tell him to make his own" but I feel that is not the right answer this time. She wants to buy him a good bench and what she sees in the Axminster catalogue looks like what she thinks he wants. She just wants to be sure she would be getting a good bench and I don't know if it is a good bench or not. The materials seem right but other than that all I have to go by is a picture or two and Axminster's glowing description. I'm just hoping someone here knows a bit about these particular benches.
Any assistance welcome, guys.

SF
 

Adam

Established Member
Joined
10 Sep 2003
Messages
3,768
Reaction score
0
Location
UK
Shadowfax":2z7lqkzt said:
Thanks for that, Alf. Well worth reading again.
I know I should say " tell him to make his own" but I feel that is not the right answer this time. She wants to buy him a good bench and what she sees in the Axminster catalogue looks like what she thinks he wants. She just wants to be sure she would be getting a good bench and I don't know if it is a good bench or not. The materials seem right but other than that all I have to go by is a picture or two and Axminster's glowing description. I'm just hoping someone here knows a bit about these particular benches.
Any assistance welcome, guys.

SF
I reckon go for it, reccomend she buys him a bench. They look fine for most people - only us tool-snobs think you need something much more substantial. If he gets really into woodwork, he probably will build his own - and having one to work on to make it will be a bonus. If he has space, he likely keep them both, using one as a main bench, and another as a glue-up or similar. If in the future he does build his own - it doesn't really matter - no doubt he'll have had his monies worth out of this one, and they look not unreasonable priced, and fairly substantial. Having something (anything) that is OK to work on tends to delay replacement - as in my case, I really ought to make a bench - but well, the one I've got is OK (it's a laboratory table from work). 4 years in it has done plenty of projects with me and never once have I really felt the need for something more substantial. Just my thoughts....

Adam
 

Pete W

Established Member
Joined
31 Jan 2004
Messages
911
Reaction score
0
Location
London UK
Since a few members will be convening at the Axminster show later this week, if you can hang on that long you may get a few first-hand reports.

I'd volunteer but I'm afraid I won't be able to visit the show, again, this year!
 

Shadowfax

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2003
Messages
659
Reaction score
0
Location
East Sussex
Thanks for your thoughts so far.
I like the idea of waiting for some of you to return from the show. If you folks who are going to the show get a chance to take a look at the Axminster benches for me I would really appreciate your findings. That is if there are any benches to look at!
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

SF
 

Alf

Established Member
Joined
22 Oct 2003
Messages
12,079
Reaction score
0
Location
Up the proverbial creek
Shadowfax":31hno70m said:
Thanks for that, Alf. Well worth reading again.
I know I should say " tell him to make his own" but I feel that is not the right answer this time.
Heck no, that wasn't the point of the link. Simply couldn't be bothered to repeat my observations on the Axminsters again. I have absolutely no legs to stand on about not buying - I'm a low-life, workbench-buying tool c*ll*ct*r, and I know it.


Cheers, Alf
 

Adam

Established Member
Joined
10 Sep 2003
Messages
3,768
Reaction score
0
Location
UK
Shadowfax":2mthkcxr said:
Thanks for your thoughts so far.
I like the idea of waiting for some of you to return from the show. If you folks who are going to the show get a chance to take a look at the Axminster benches for me I would really appreciate your findings. That is if there are any benches to look at!
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

SF
I have to admit, I forgot about this until now, I didn't see any benches whatsoever, except one which was marked "sold" - persumably a demonstration model or similar. I had a poke about on it and it seemed fine - the bolts were loose so it rocked slightly, but I'd say the quality of components, and the design looked fine. If you wanted it "beefier" in the future, you could easily add an extra brace, but on the whole, such additions are not really required. I thought it was fine.

I'd say I'd be very pleased to recieve one as a Christmas present.

Adam
 

Chris Knight

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2004
Messages
6,641
Reaction score
3
Location
SE London - NW Kent
I think I saw the same one. It was a bit rocky - as Adam says the bolts needed tightening. I thought the legs were a bit on the skinny side and if it were mine, I would probably end up adding a diagonal brace across the back.

The top and vices were OK for a moderately priced unit.
 

Philly

Established Member
Joined
24 Nov 2003
Messages
6,874
Reaction score
0
Location
Dorset, England.
Don't know if this is the same model, but, at last years Tools show Rob Cosman was doing his dovetail demo on an Axminster bench. He spent the whole hour bitching about the rubbish vices, ending up with the cameraman hold offcuts of wood in the opposite side of the vice sohe could get on with the demo. I remember certain members of this forum were present at the time, so will back me up on this.
Don't let this put you off, but building your own is all part of learning to be a good woody! (IMHO) :D
best regards
Philly :D
 

Midnight

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2003
Messages
1,805
Reaction score
0
Location
Scotland
Here's a thought.... why not call Axminster's tech helpline and ask them for more details about the vice... I've done exactly that before buying a couple of items I wasn't too sure about, and found their advise to be honest, open and spot on...
 

Shadowfax

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2003
Messages
659
Reaction score
0
Location
East Sussex
Now we are rolling!
I appreciate your thoughts so far. I am feeling a bit better about giving some advice now. Basically it seems that the quality is thought to be quite good but the vices could perhaps be bettered but, for the kind of money this lovely lady is proposing to spend on her other half, she might be getting a reasonable deal.
I know I could say that her husband should go ahead and build a bench but that was not what I was asked to comment on. I don't know how much he knows or what his skills are.
I suspect whatever he gets he will want to change it after some time has passed. That is what happens with workshop fittings and such, isn't it? Please keep the observations coming if you can.
Thanks a lot.

SF
 

Adam

Established Member
Joined
10 Sep 2003
Messages
3,768
Reaction score
0
Location
UK
Shadowfax":3ssv966t said:
Now we are rolling!
I appreciate your thoughts so far. I am feeling a bit better about giving some advice now. Basically it seems that the quality is thought to be quite good but the vices could perhaps be bettered but, for the kind of money this lovely lady is proposing to spend on her other half, she might be getting a reasonable deal.
I know I could say that her husband should go ahead and build a bench but that was not what I was asked to comment on. I don't know how much he knows or what his skills are.
I suspect whatever he gets he will want to change it after some time has passed. That is what happens with workshop fittings and such, isn't it? Please keep the observations coming if you can.
Thanks a lot.

SF
Although they get quite a battering in here, Rutlands do Sjoberg workbenches, and my experience of Rutlands is provided you ring the order through, and check it's in stock, they do deliver fairly much next day (or 1 after).

Adam

Adam
 
Top