Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive an idea for a tool rack with fold down bench.
Bench would have a deep apron running around it and proper screw vices.
If you imagine a unit, probably 10" deep,say 5' wide, sitting 6-7' high. usual places for chisels, marking stuff, planes etc, 1/2 covered by the bench when closed, and below the hinge a pair of fold out legs.
So an actual unit, like a bookcase, and screwed onto the wall.

I'll need to do some drawings, as my own work area is totally inadequate. Theres too many wrong type of benches that just get covered with stuff which renders them unusable as benches.

So was thinking something that contains the tools, the bench folds down, and below it gate legs swing out to support it, but when closed it it means the tools are still accessible, and theres plenty of floor space to assemble, our use a saw or planer thicknesser or bandsaw if theyre on wheels and stored around the edge or the room..
That sounds really good! Drawings please!!!

Esp for our men shed where space is limited in a 16x20' space...

Hi @colin
I'm hesitant in posting this link but do wonder if it would be something you'd consider? I'm thinking it would be useful but accept you'd possibly need some help with the making of it. You don't show a location for yourself but I'm wondering if you gave that information maybe some member close to you would assist? Plans are available for it via a link at $5 USD...

I'd imagine the bench needs to be super stout for one handed use,
or if lightweight at least long enough to brace against something solid.
This looks about the quickest bench, just mentioning as the arrangement is likely as
versatile as one could get and could prove a very useful addition, should you need get as close to the work as possible, if not then a good second bench at the least.

Custard wrote a post on one handed dovetails, it looks like a challenge,
and I would think some jigs could simplify things a lot.
It might give some ideas
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/one-handed-dovetails.98996/
It might be worth looking around to see if any army vets in the "purpleheart project"
are in a similar situation as yourself and took Rob's course.
Hopefully they might be online also, as it would be helpful, perhaps they are on the "creek"

All the best
Tom

No problem my dad's had a couple of stokes so I know what it's like for you.

I had one if those workbenches and found it very flimsy much more so than my 4x2 /18mm topped bench I have ATM.

Look out for men's shed in the area as they are more than willing to help each other.

Cheers James

Colin - I'll second the suggest suggestion to approach your local Men's Shed - see Find a Shed - (DM me if you have problems finding one) My local Men's Shed was given a similar bench to the link you posted and even after reinforcing it is not good.

Well, the workbench turned up yesterday and it's now assembledand in place. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. It came from Germany, but was made in China. Everything fitted fine. Clearance and starter holes all correct. The top is 20mm edge glued hardwood with a 60mm deep edge frame.It was, as I expected, a bit wobbly. I had envisaged bracing the legs but by the time I screwed through the edge frame into the adjacent stud wall, it's absolutely steady. No more work required - just need to use it. Thanks, everyone, for your wise words and suggestions. C

Latest posts

Back