Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They say in the blurb that it is Heavy Duty, but i would take that with pinch of salt , It would be ok for light duty /assembly work . Try planing a piece of wood and i would think that the whole thing will start to wrack in a very short space of time,you could add extra bracing which may help some . For the price i bet you could knock up something yourself that will be far better and last a lot longer(y) :) remember it does not have to fancy but it does have to be strong enough for your intended use.

Google a simply 4 x 2 workbench loads of ideas and will be much stronger and less prone to racking

Thanks guys (and for the ebay link -it's sold). You're all quite correct. Unfortunately I had a stroke a couple of years ago and have no use of my left arm or hand. I used to have a decent workshop but had to sell and give away all my tools and equipment ( except a unimat mini-lathe). I've had to move into a small bungalow without a garage or shed and I'm absolutely desperate to put my brain and functioning hand back into some practical use. I've googled many benches and tables and I can see that the one in my link would benefit from 6mm mdf or ply over the legs and make a practical base for my new ventures.

Maybe someone near by could make you a suitable bench? If you were in West Yorkshire I certainly would. 3x2 frame with a sheet of 18 /25mm ply on top and a woodworking vice?

Cheers James

Thanks James. I'm quite a long way from you, but that's a very kind offer. No matter, it won't break the bank and looks a reasonable basis to start from and with. Cheers, C

Thanks guys (and for the ebay link -it's sold). You're all quite correct. Unfortunately I had a stroke a couple of years ago and have no use of my left arm or hand. I used to have a decent workshop but had to sell and give away all my tools and equipment ( except a unimat mini-lathe). I've had to move into a small bungalow without a garage or shed and I'm absolutely desperate to put my brain and functioning hand back into some practical use. I've googled many benches and tables and I can see that the one in my link would benefit from 6mm mdf or ply over the legs and make a practical base for my new ventures.

it might be worth you posting something on your local facebook group or nextdoor -people are pretty helpful an dyou might find somebody has a bench or solid table they want to get rid of.

Sorry Colin,had no idea of your Stroke or the limitations it has left you with , so making one yourself is not an option . If you can get a piece of ply or mdf cut to size and screw it onto the back ,then that would stiffen things up quite a lot (y) Those benches look as though they will probably come as a flat pack ,and even with both hands it might be awkward to assemble it ,any chance you could get someone to give you a bit of help putting it together if needed :)

Aye, it's a pipper! Last summer managed to assemble an ikea patio table and chairs, so hopefully, I'll manage this. B&q are good for cutting sheets to size and I've got chums to call upon for anything I can't manage. Interestingly, being inherently practical often leads me to solutions to overcome my shortcomings

Aye, it's a pipper. Anyway, last summer I managed to assemble an ikea patio table and chairs so I should be OK and b&q are good for cutting sheet material to size. Case need, I can always call upon chums for help with anything I'm unable to manage. Interestingly, being inheritantly practical often leads me to solutions to overcome my shortcomings.

Thanks James. I'm quite a long way from you, but that's a very kind offer. No matter, it won't break the bank and looks a reasonable basis to start from and with. Cheers, C
No problem my dad's had a couple of stokes so I know what it's like for you.

I had one if those workbenches and found it very flimsy much more so than my 4x2 /18mm topped bench I have ATM.

Look out for men's shed in the area as they are more than willing to help each other.

Cheers James

Hello, welcome to the forum
You can always load out the bottom shelf with some extra weight, that'll help, or if its mainly for the lathe, you could screw it to a wall/ in a corner....

You could have a look at the metal workshop benches in Machine Mart and similar. They typically have a 25mm mdf top. Very rigid depends whether it would suit your needs.

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I did look at those but the one I saw had an mdf top barely 9mm thick. Anyway, the button's been pressed on the one in my link, albeit slightly larger. In a perverse sort of way, I'm actually looking forward to the challenge of strengthening it

@colin - not specific to your workbench but may be of interest for some general inspiration: on YouTube there's a UK channel called Hand-i-Craft. The guy is called Leo and he lost the use of his dominant arm due to a road accident and nerve damage. Then he took up woodwork to help him cope with that. He can make more with his left arm than I can with two good arms! I'll add a link to one of his videos.

Last edited:
@colin - not specific to your workbench but may be of interest for some general inspiration: on YouTube there's a UK channel called Hand-i-Craft. The guy is called Leo and he lost the use of his dominant arm due to a road accident and nerve damage. Then he took up woodwork to help him cope with that. He can make more with his left arm than I can with two good arms! I'll add a link to one of his videos.

Thanks Allen. Just watched the link you posted. That's really quite inspirational! I'll take a look at some more of his videos. Cheers, C

Ive an idea for a tool rack with fold down bench.
Bench would have a deep apron running around it and proper screw vices.
If you imagine a unit, probably 10" deep,say 5' wide, sitting 6-7' high. usual places for chisels, marking stuff, planes etc, 1/2 covered by the bench when closed, and below the hinge a pair of fold out legs.
So an actual unit, like a bookcase, and screwed onto the wall.

I'll need to do some drawings, as my own work area is totally inadequate. Theres too many wrong type of benches that just get covered with stuff which renders them unusable as benches.

So was thinking something that contains the tools, the bench folds down, and below it gate legs swing out to support it, but when closed it it means the tools are still accessible, and theres plenty of floor space to assemble, our use a saw or planer thicknesser or bandsaw if theyre on wheels and stored around the edge or the room..

Latest posts

Back