Workbench vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roboboyo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m in the market for a vice that sits and the end of the work top and level with the bench (like in the pic) can anyone tell me if this particular vice has a name so I know what to search for, cheers

Attachments

• 29A0D890-46CA-43C1-9A44-C07A5E5CD8C4.png
    29A0D890-46CA-43C1-9A44-C07A5E5CD8C4.png
    363.1 KB · Views: 0
Hello
That looks like a common carpenters vise.
Might be worth looking at boot fairs, or ebay for something nice.
A common one would be the Records for instance, some like the older ones with round boss.
This could be the thread I was looking for.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...quick-release-vice.106895/page-3#post-1172569
Not sure if all are quick release, another thing to make note of,
the no.52 1/2 opens about twice as much as the no.52.

Look for hair line cracks, some only noticeable when some timber is held,
so might be a good idea to have a pair of gloves handy if testing loose,as plenty of grease could be on the rails.
These are a bit fragile if dropped and the 52 1/2 likely a good deal heavier,
and learn from some terrible accounts of these hitting the ground.

Plenty of other brands, the Record might be the Toyota Corolla of vises.
Might be worth a look for woodworking benches from schools, as they maybe the same cost as the vise alone.

Good luck

Tom

Search woodworking vice. There are many forms of it and you have to decide what suits your situation in terms of function and how much you want to pay. A picture of the worktop would help us point you in the right direction.
Regards
John

I once went into an old fashioned hardware shop in my local town (in Norfolk, GB) looking for one of these.
I said to the slightly older than middle aged guy behind the counter,"Do you have any vices?"
Quick as a flash came the reply, "Well, I sh@g goats".
A few seconds silence followed.
And that is a true story.

Hello
That looks like a common carpenters vise.
Might be worth looking at boot fairs, or ebay for something nice.
A common one would be the Records for instance, some like the older ones with round boss.
This could be the thread I was looking for.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...quick-release-vice.106895/page-3#post-1172569
Not sure if all are quick release, another thing to make note of,
the no.52 1/2 opens about twice as much as the no.52.

Look for hair line cracks, some only noticeable when some timber is held,
so might be a good idea to have a pair of gloves handy if testing loose,as plenty of grease could be on the rails.
These are a bit fragile if dropped and the 52 1/2 likely a good deal heavier,
and learn from some terrible accounts of these hitting the ground.

Plenty of other brands, the Record might be the Toyota Corolla of vises.
Might be worth a look for woodworking benches from schools, as they maybe the same cost as the vise alone.

Good luck

Tom
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply Tom. Extremely informative and I greatly appreciate it 👍

I once went into an old fashioned hardware shop in my local town (in Norfolk, GB) looking for one of these.
I said to the slightly older than middle aged guy behind the counter,"Do you have any vices?"
Lol, care to explain the hidden joke ?

With Record, make sure it is stamped "Made in England" and beware Record Irwin - only one or two very early UK made, the current Chinese ones are best avoided.

Similar story.
Alfreton in my case.
Wandering around the shop, packed from floor to ceiling, the owner offered assistance.
"I'm just looking for bulbs", said I.
"60 watt or daffodil?" came the instant response.

Similar story.
Alfreton in my case.
Wandering around the shop, packed from floor to ceiling, the owner offered assistance.
"I'm just looking for bulbs", said I.
"60 watt or daffodil?" came the instant response.
Good job you did not ask for fork handles

A friend went to a builder's merchant and was told to go into the yard and speak to Thrush. He said he didn't know Thrush - and was he called Thrush because he sang well. No, they they told him, it was because the gentleman concerned was an irritating c**t.

A friend went to a builder's merchant and was told to go into the yard and speak to Thrush. He said he didn't know Thrush - and was he called Thrush because he sang well. No, they they told him, it was because the gentleman concerned was an irritating c**t.

now, now Phil, keep it clean -- just because you're from Shaft City
- hope your kitten is closing its ears

Hi guys, I’m in the market for a vice that sits and the end of the work top and level with the bench (like in the pic) can anyone tell me if this particular vice has a name so I know what to search for, cheers
Lots of good advice on here. A few thoughts to add.

Buying new; there are a lot of videos by Paul Sellers on buying an installing a vice/vise (vice is old UK spelling eg Parkisons). Sellers recommends Eclipse 9'' quick release as an affordable new vice.

Second hand: a good vice will last for ever if not abused. I have a second hand Parkinson which I bought aged 15 from a teacher at school its over 100 years old and have several hundred years life left. But check for cracks as others have said, the old cast iron ones are damaged by dropping or abuse. The old record 52 is probably the gold standard. But I love my two Parkys.

Fitting: Sellers and others have videos that show where best to fit on the bench if you are left or right handed. If you want to fit near the end as in the photo, be careful to not interfered with the legs of the table. A good joiners vice is best with a stable sturdy table. There are two schools of thought on fitting flush or not. Although I fitted one flush 35 years ago, there are advantages of having it protrude in front of the table as easier to not trap fingers etc. Also whether you want dog hole or not, again its a fashion/personal preference whether you have them or not. If you want a dog hole clamp on your vice and it does not come with one (eg second hand record or parky) I can show you how to make an insert - there is a link somewhere on this forum.

Latest posts

Back