Workbench tops what material HDF?? MDF Ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi guys , write that's an impressive bench.

so 4 locking wheels, any preference for where to get them. if rather not go to eBay

I got some from Amazon the other day, sets of 2/4 locking were £12, I think 4/4 locking were £13.

Ok so I have my design !!!! ot sure if i should start a new topic but here goes

workbench on wheels - Yes - No !!!??

I see lots of designs on wheels - i can do either for now - my workshop is quite small 12ft square so wheels may give me more assembly space options later 0 i intend to have a 600mm bench down one wall for chop saw morticer etc and storage underneath.

so wheels yay or nay ( if yay which ones !!)
Yes I would use wheels. My workshop is not big and I intend to put my bench on castors. Gives you more options as no doubt your ideas will change, your space will change and it's just easier to rearrange or move it just to clean. As it has been said, at least 2 of the castors need brakes. Best wishes.

i bought some wheels from banggood - ok but not great - any suggestions for size?? style type - when it comes to wheels i have less idea than sturgeon and covid

i bought some wheels from banggood - ok but not great - any suggestions for size?? style type - when it comes to wheels i have less idea than sturgeon and covid

Sturgeon and Covid sounds like a legal firm. I'd recommend round wheels as a style. Joking aside, I bought the ones linked below because they were reasonably priced (cheaper than I said in my earlier post), and had almost 4,000 reviews on Amazon so I could get a good idea whether they were up to the job.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0791G1W7C

Hi Mike

That bench along with your router table are true examples of German engineering and the standards are as high as ever, I used to visit merkenich and Stuttgart on business back in the days when you had the deutschemark as currency and all the engineering companies were amazing.

Thank you, Roy! I'm really a retired American living in Germany.

I created a build thread for my workbench in the Projects forum that goes into more detail. I'll create a similar thread for the router table.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/mft-style-workbench.126832/
As with the router table, I don't take credit for the original design, as my projects are derivative of the hard work of others. Editing is easy, creating is difficult. If someone has a design that I like and can use, I'm not bashful about copying and giving credit.

Sturgeon and Covid sounds like a legal firm. I'd recommend round wheels as a style. Joking aside, I bought the ones linked below because they were reasonably priced (cheaper than I said in my earlier post), and had almost 4,000 reviews on Amazon so I could get a good idea whether they were up to the job.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0791G1W7C

What did you think to the wheels? I got some locking ones off a screwfix 100mm and now aneed a step to reach the bench and the locks on them are proper crappy!!

Have to add that workbenches do take a lot of abuse from drawing on them to hammering,paint, spills of finish,glue drips and general wear and tear. I like something i can sand clean or replace entirely.

Lots of holes for benchdogs might be great in some German carpentry factory, but in a home workshop it seems a step too far.

It is a workbench after all, and of those ive seen from the great makers of the past look extremely rough and worn, with saw cuts and bashes all over

What did you think to the wheels? I got some locking ones off a screwfix 100mm and now aneed a step to reach the bench and the locks on them are proper crappy!!

Seem great so far! Screws that come with them are pretty meaty and the locking mechanism is robust. I think in hindsight I might have preferred all four to be locking because with some force you can get the benches to shift, but then again it would be a nuisance to reach the back two because the bench is against a wall.

Quality wise though, can't fault them.

Seem great so far! Screws that come with them are pretty meaty and the locking mechanism is robust. I think in hindsight I might have preferred all four to be locking because with some force you can get the benches to shift, but then again it would be a nuisance to reach the back two because the bench is against a wall.

Quality wise though, can't fault them.

Someone posted on the reviews about them not aligning when locking but I guess some folk are overly critical!!

Someone posted on the reviews about them not aligning when locking but I guess some folk are overly critical!!

On Amazon? I flicked through the negative reviews to see if there was any consistency which may point out a genuine problem but it just looked like the occasional gripe about random stuff.

Back