workbench top refurb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unib

Established Member
Reaction score
As much as I'd love to make a lovely Roubo bench, time and money suggest it's not going to happen for a good while. My current bench is pretty reasonable but it's had a temporary top on it for about 8 years, made from 50mm thick pine, as it's 'temporary' it was never treated with a great deal of respect and now looks in a bit of a state. I've spent some time planing the top level again and adding some extra thickness by gluing some extra pieces to the underside. Trouble is the top , whilst now level and true, it could do with a makeover...

I was considering gluing a sheet of 6mm birch ply to the top of it but was wondering if this would cause any problems with movement - I worry that the pine might want to move and the ply wouldn't - resulting in a warped splitting mess! Has anyone got an thoughts on this?

May I should stop worrying about what it looks like and live with the screw holes!?

I'd probably say live with the screw holes. You're right that the pine may move unless it is in a very stable climate which is hard to achieve unless it's in the lounge, and the pine will win easily over the ply. One more thing re the ply as you like a flat top - you won't really be able to go back and re-flat it later without breaking through the laminates. I reckon screw holes look better!
If the top is removable, you could skin both top and bottom? - better chance of keeping it stable then. From a functional p.o.v., I wouldn't go to the trouble though.

Thanks chaps, you're right, I need to stop messing about prettifying benches and get on with making stuff! (I might re-paint my vice though :roll: )

Back