Workbench Top Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
I was given some free mostly 3"x"3 timber. I would love to build myself a proper workbench, but the problem is the pieces are only 120cm long, I feel its a little bit too short for a workbench. What about gluing them widthways? is that the right word? Would that be ok?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 21.54.24.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 21.54.24.png
    294.2 KB · Views: 658
You might find it would ripple end to end, it would probably be more stable if you laminated it so it ran end to end - make up the length you want with the joints staggered. It wouldn't be too difficult as you wouldn't want to try gluing the whole top in one hit, you could make up 9" or 12" slabs (which you would probably do anyway).

Fantastic, thats what I'm going to do then.
Quick question, is doing half-lap joints worth it when doing this type of lamination?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 13.06.51.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 13.06.51.png
    248.3 KB · Views: 594
Osvaldd":o68omi8j said:
Quick question, is doing half-lap joints worth it when doing this type of lamination?

It'll be strong enough just staggered.

Osvaldd":3mbsah14 said:

I'm not sure you'll gain much from that extra work, Osvaldd. It might stop end-grain joins from opening up so much, but won't contribute much to the overall strength, I reckon.

Your original suggested layout will work just fine. Just orientate the grain to run as vertical as possible to minimise and cupping on the surface. You need to do this for which ever laminated solution you choose.

Well its done, almost... Flattening the underside now. I'm happy with the way it turned out, end grain joints nice and tight. All done by hand.

Attachments

• IMG_4217.JPG
    IMG_4217.JPG
    799.8 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_4218.JPG
    IMG_4218.JPG
    864.6 KB · Views: 408
phil.p":mp7jd6x6 said:
You need flatten only the parts that contact the frame

It’s an English style bench with a tool well, I'm going to need a flat underside as a registration to plough a groove for the tool board.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 13.00.46.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 13.00.46.png
    317 KB · Views: 380
Trevanion":2tyth3fe said:
Very neat joints! How did you do the end grain ones? Straight off the saw?

No, my hand sawing is not that accurate. Hand planing to knife marks.

Osvaldd":g4o7wnht said:
It’s an English style bench with a tool well, I'm going to need a flat underside as a registration to plough a groove for the tool board.

Perhaps a dumb question but can't you register off of the top surface?

Pete

@Inspector
Possibly, but it's done now. I just wanted to leave the top alone until the very end, when the bench is put together.

What a result!, from the design you had only a month ago, to a much better constructed one, and getting it laminated up with nice tight butt joints to boot. =D>
Your jack plane is not destined for the parts bin afterall.
Keep us updated
Good luck with the rest of it
Tom

Looks fantastic.

I too had to work on the underside but mine was not as well laminated as yours seems to be. I did only worry about the bits where the frame met the underside though. I then registered off the top for the groove for the wellboard as suggested.

I look forward to seeing yours finished! (and mine for that matter!)

Back