Workbench - To finish or leave as is

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonpiemon

Reaction score
New to this forum and woodworking so go easy on me!

Recently acquired a vintage school workbech with some pretty handy foldover tops, which I've added legs to.

As things stand the whole thing is a bit mismatched and leaving me with a few options.

I'd love to keep it's patina, all the cuts, scrapes, paint splash etc. Question is am I best putting something like a Danish Oil over the whole bottom and worktop to try and match up the colours better and give me some protection? I don't want it to loose its character! Or best trying to match the top section with the folding bits to the base?

The bench will be used for general use.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210302_080326.jpg
    IMG_20210302_080326.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210301_075944.jpg
    IMG_20210301_075944.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210228_193914.jpg
    IMG_20210228_193914.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210301_225934.jpg
    IMG_20210301_225934.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's solid and functional as it appears to be, I do give mine the odd coat of Danish oil which keeps it in reasonable condition but it's not really essential. I think the oil feeds the wood and does help to get stuff off if you have a spill but it's a wokrbench for making stuff on!

Think of all those kids hacking on it in a past life while you're using the bench and it will bring a smile to your face.

I also have one of these, I bought it at an auction some 15 years ago for £45. It is a rock solid lump and has done me well over the years. I am planning to build a more modern MFT type bench for general light use but I will keep the old bench for anything that needs serious bashing. It is understandably too low for me so I have it on seated on two 4x4 cross beams; although this means I can't easily move it out of the way so it will go against a wall. I did consider trying to level the beech top but it is too deeply marked by cack-handed youths of yesteryear.

If you want to retain your top then you could make a removeable MFT top which would also help increase the height. I was thinking of a Paulk type table top

1614690882082.png

You can buy MDF or Birch ply MFT tops from CNC Designs

hope this is useful

I use linseed oil on a beech bench top becuase it prevents any glue droppings from sticking, it looks good, I like the smell of it, I like the feel of it on my hands, it reminds me of rolling putty as a child many years ago.

Back