Workbench Help! (PICS ADDED)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

hello guys, i'm looking for some advice and pics.
my boss has given me the thumbs up to convert part of
the workshop into a woodworking zone. today i made up a bench
measuring 19'x2' along one of the back walls with about 6' of the 19' wall less.
(hope that makes sense) :?. it has 2 shelve's along the whole length also. now
i'm looking for inspiration as to how to set it up, i'd appreciate any advice and lots
of pics if possible. i'd like to incorporate some sort of diy tablesaw at the open
part of the bench, and there will be a mitre saw, scroll saw, disc sander, bench grinder,
and is there any way to set up a routing space??? :roll:.....................i'm sorry about all the
questions but i would like to get it right, and have it set up in the best possible way.

thanks in advance.

19' gives you 9'6'' to the centre so that limits the stock you can mould or route , cut to that length . So you want the router table , cross cut saw , rip saw etc in the centre . Grinders and anything that doesn't need to have loads of room should go at the end of the bench .
Welcome to the forum btw :D

Hi Kenny,and welcome to the forum.
Think I understand - 6' of your 19' bench has no wall behind it ?

When deciding what to put where - firstly,what have you got,and secondly what do you think you will need?

When armed with this information,the next big point is how much space does each item need to be able to use it?
e.g. - a bench grinder doesn't take up much space,and you only need enough room around it to manoeuvre whatever it is you want to use it for (like a chisel and half your arm :lol: )
But a table saw needs the space of the unit plus the space at the front and the back for whatever you are likely to cut i.e. if you are cutting 8' x 4' sheets,you need over 16' of space :shock:

Measure some tools,and if need be,use something like cardboard boxes of similar size to plonk on the bench to see if it fits where you want it;or draw it to scale,and do it like that.

And remember - however much room you have,it is never enough..

Andrew

thanks guys................i'll post a few pics tomorrow night, that way i can show you what i have to work with.

right guys here is what i have to work with.
i'd like to put a mitre saw, disc sander, tablesaw, router table, and grinder............into this workspace, i think thats all at the moment.
i'd appreciate advice on the best way to set it up.

thanks.
DSCF1710.jpg

DSCF1709.jpg

DSCF1708.jpg

DSCF1707.jpg

Chop saw on the first shelf down if it will fit . Id then make a cut out in the uprights at an angle so my timber stock could slide in along the whole length , this still leaves the top free for another linier machine . It would be good to have all those worktop shelves on heavy duty draw runners at the same level as your timber stock to act as tables , problem with that is youd be bending over to machine anything :shock:

And a compressed air supply,I see :shock:

Now that must come in handy for something (nail gun,maybe?)

Have you thought about dust extraction of some sort ? Looks like you are in a garage,so would have thought dust will need to kept under control.

Plenty of shelving/storage space,though :D

Andrew

couple of thoughts.

popular woodwork (american) had a series about making a
workbench with a table saw built in to the middle and a router
as well. this might be a way to go. depending upon the weight
of your grinder, you could store it on a shelf, and then lift it up.

paul :wink:

Paul

Did you mean Popular Woodworking or is there a separate magazine called Pop. Woodwork? Reason for asking is that I found the Woodworking site but couldn't dind any reference to the workbench you mebntioned.

Many thanks

Roger

roger thought it was so, but of course also Better Homes and Gardens
Wood also had a series about a moveable work bench incorporating a
table saw.

the pop woodworking thing was part of a system with a work bench for under $500.

sometime this week will try to find a reference.

has'nt one of the lads on this forum made a movable bench with t/s and router table ,that might be the way to go kenny you can move it out of the way of the cars and the stock .

frank

here is an image of what i'm thinking of doing with the bench, would this work, or should i be thinking of something different?
bench.jpg

think you are going to have problems with the table saw.

i think you need to think about a moveable one, with the ability to
fit under the worktop. although you have the hole in the wall, will you be able to work a big sheet round it? or are you only going to work with smaller pieces?

i do think there is something to be said for the mitre saw being above the
worksurface, so that you can work under it. always amazes me how big
my 708 is front to back.

Kenny

Looking at what you have and the machinery you need i would go down the moveable route.

My workstation is 90% finished and i have been using it for all my projects at the moment. Yesterday i had to rip down 2500mm length of timber and the garage is only 4000mm long. So i turned the workstation 90deg, moved towards the garage door and ripped with ease. Once finished the workstation went back to the original position.

I have my router set into the top just to the right of the table saw. It doesn't cause any problems but i just have to remember to lower the blade and router cutter under the surface if iamb using the bench for knocking up.

I would say, a small moveable unit to house the table saw and router is enough. I'll be posting a few more pics of mine later so you can see

Andy

thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
the reason i'm not to worried about having the tablesaw fixed into the bench is basically down to the fact that it will be very rare for me to have to work with big sheets. as this is in my work, any sheets are normally ordered as close to the spec we need for specific jobs.

on the drawing i should have the router table nearer the centre of the bench away from the disc sander, this way i'll have more space on either side of it.

thanks again.

Back