Workbench design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not let the guy build HIS workbench the way HE wants too.
That wouldn't be an issue if the OP has the machinery to accompany a bench solely for what I believe is considered a "hybrid" woodworking bench,
(basically something a bit fancy for holding your work whilst you use a domino/tracksaw)
Easily done with some f clamps on a trad bench.

Maybe I'm wrong on my hybrid comment, as some might refer to Rob Cosman as that?
I just consider that a modern furniture making setup on the larger scale of things.

Tom

Never! My tools look good, and they need to be seen.
Is that so that any foolish visitor can gossip about your "very fine collection" of powertools in the pub; for alcoholic evesdroppers to think of them as a possible funding source for their habit ? - In wartime careless talk costs lives...In peacetime, it frequently costs livelihoods....!

I’ve nearly finished building a workbench of sorts.
Its not my primary workbench and replacing some cheap kitchen units under 3m solid worktop.
I used 3x2 CLS and simply lapped the joints.
shelf under will be left over 18mm flooring chipboard.
It’s pretty solid already but I plan to put back and sides on to stop it racking.

Is that so that any foolish visitor can gossip about your "very fine collection" of powertools in the pub; for alcoholic evesdroppers to think of them as a possible funding source for their habit ? - In wartime careless talk costs lives...In peacetime, it frequently costs livelihoods....!
That’s the way I’ve always worked as well, my workshop looks nothing like a workshop from the outside, even the name board on the front of the building doesn’t give anything away, security is really good but I rely on nobody knowing it’s there as well.

@Block75, looks good to me. As you're looking for more an MFT (multi-functional-table?) and currently doing a lot of sanding of small bits, there are some cool ideas for downward sucking dust extraction which hold your work firm and extract dust. An air hockey table which sucks rather than blows. Hur hur.
You build it into the MFT.

As regards the discourse here, everyone has an opinion. Do what you want and live with the consequences, say I. Experience is the sum of all our mistakes...

This workbench design looks somewhat similar to what I have built, albeit it is from solid wood and heavy, to do hand planes dimensioning. So, the dark side bench I have:

1619602924665.png

I then added middle top part, so it actually looks like this:

1619603020004.png

It is build from countertops, basically, form 27 mm beech panels. Top is lamination of two layers, legs are 3 layers. The good thing is that I didn't have to cut any lap joints, I would simply cut some panels shorter before gluing them up. Also mortice and tenon joint becomes easy where there are three layers. What I can say for sure is that Veritas Twin Screw vice is just unbeatable, you should use it for your bench, regardless of dark side or not.

Otherwise, it is a pleasure to read this thread. Ttrees, you are the best!

Why is it the best, you may ask...
Try getting/finding a video of someone producing an invisible edge joint with any other tool that's not a machine.
(A very common thing to do, to make up wider or thicker stock)

Over last 4 years I got so good with dimensioning wood with hand planes that sometimes I surprise myself, so well it and not so slow either. A good look, a touch to the grain, check for rocking on flat workbench and it doesn't take long to remove high spots and make it air stick to workbench. Even when planning 2 meters long, I can make parts so well that there is no gap to be seen. But it does take two weeks to dimension all parts sometimes, if not more.

One could try sanding but why would anyone try and abrade a surface rather than cut it, either slower or an imprecise tool will be used
and then you've got the noise and more importantly the dust to deal with.

College of mine is actually using a hand held band sander with a guide frame, which limits how deep it can sand into material:
1619603796050.png

Bosch PBS 75 A

It he doesn't like that process at all. Hand planes I can use with my kids around and result is much better and faster.

Even though I don't agree with most of his methods, we share the same ethos of having a bench as the fundamental tool, and having a capable bandsaw as the no.1 machine of choice.
Many would agree as everything else can be done with other methods.

I second that! Bandsaw was the only machine that I had for several years. I have a small one, Record Power BS250. I'm often buying 100x100 mm construction lumber and then cut it to smaller dimensions that I need, much cheaper and sometimes better wood. Also I resaw hardwoods after hand planning two sides of rough sawn timber. Now I have also a mortice and a drill press. All quiet enough for apartment use.

Just saying if you learn to use a hand plane well, then your skills will ZOOM up the ladder in a lot of areas.

I agree a lot! Now, I can sharpen expensive kitchen knifes, thanks to experience and tools for sharpening hand plane blades and such. Finish after hand planes is so much better than after sandpaper. No sanding anymore, unless some curvy parts sometimes. Ability to tune parts to fit nicely.

Surely you have seen a shooting board for basic tasks

This is just so nice, that I sold my miter power saw as I didn't use it anymore for some years and then never wanted to. With some addons making boxes and frames is quite fun and easy task.

I used 3x2 CLS and simply lapped the joints.

Yep, lap joint is indeed so easy and about strong as mortice and tenon joint. Used that a lot in the beginning, for all my stands and workbench too.

Lately, since I rented another room in the basement, I'm slowly moving towards machines, acquired a track saw, huge bandsaw and prima jointer/thicknesser machine. Have to finish sound proofing the room first, and then I will have to learn how to do the same with machines... a bit scary too. And building something MFT-like for the basement machine room is in my plans. So, very interesting thread for me either way! Good luck with your design and build!

That's a very nice bench you've built, I think you're referring to either of the two David's rather than myself though.
All I have contributed to this forum is by dropping some names.
Good luck with the new workshop and machinery.

Tom

Back