Workbench Design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SO today I got round to doing the first of the major leg constructs. I forgot to get a pic but it's gone *pretty* well all things considered. I think the diagonals are 1mm out, but given the dimensions are 1070x564 I figure that's not an issue. The joints are all currently a bit uneven, but I'll trim them down once it's dried.

The other job I got done today was to glue up the three box sections. This has, remarkably, gone to plan.

IMG_9146.jpg

I've screwed a lot of the pieces together for extra strength. It lies flat so I managed to get rid of the slight warp, and the dimensions are OK, maybe a mm out occasionally but on the whole I wasn't too concerned, as I am only bothered about the outer measurements once the sides are on.

Talking of those, I dry fitted the two side ones today, they're on spec for dimensions, which is good. The mitres have been done too, and they all look passable, not perfect, and the overall length with them on was 1200mm so that's one worry out of the way.

I'm going to the fit the front and side underside panels, which leaves me with the back lengthways panel and back underside panel, by that time everything else should be sturdy and so it is simply a case of making sure those two pieces slot into the spaces rather than having to tirelessly measure them.

It certainly has started to feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel!

I love it when a plan comes together. Both the main leg sections are now glued up, they just need attaching together, for which there's just 4 sections that will be glued and pocket hole screwed onto each leg section.

The base section has got all its outer panels on now, they're a pretty good fit with the mitres not being perfect but also not looking shabby to the point where I think it will bug me. More importantly the dimensions are looking almost perfect.

I'll put up some photos tomorrow, when I will be fitting the remaining four pieces onto the base section. Then it's a case of attaching the two sections together, which will just be done with metal brackets, and waiting for the valchromat to arrive.

OK so the Valchromat order is ready and a courier is booked. In the meantime....

The mitres aren't great, but (spoiler alert) they actually don't look too shabby all glued up). I think some of the piece on the left splintered off. No big deal.

IMG_9154.jpg

The frame with all the outer panels on. Dimensions still looking good. Fingers crossed.

IMG_9155.jpg

Starting to put the base panels on. Glued and screwed to make sure they stay in place.

IMG_9156.jpg

This is the really important edge as it will rest against the vertical panel of the worksurface, so it needs to be flat and at 90 degrees. Using a test piece of ply against it suggests it's pretty damned good.

IMG_9157.jpg

Onto the leg section.....a cursory check to make sure they're the same height (roughly) which seems good.

IMG_9159.jpg

Some of the joints were pretty shocking, but at least they're too long rather than too short.

IMG_9160.jpg

IMG_9161.jpg

Time to use some hand tools! Planes at the ready. Now, that's better.

IMG_9162.jpg

IMG_9163.jpg

Needs a lot of sanding down admittedly!

All the base panels are now fitted, that's the whole section constructed. Does it sit flat? Yes. Is it 1200x581x10? Yes. Are the diagonals ok? Yes. Does a board sit on the top of it without rocking? Yes.

Phew.

This photo was taken whilst I was initially fitting the last two boards at the sides.

IMG_9165.jpg

Starting to look like a workbench.

IMG_9167.jpg

Right now - the leg sections are fully glued and cramped. I'll do the pocket holes tomorrow and then connect the base to the legs and put the castors on.

The leg section diagonals are 2 or 3 mm out, I'm hoping that won't make fitting the shelf at the bottom too difficult, I guess I might have to trim it a little but it's no big deal.

This has been a looooooooong road and I still have the worst part to do - the worksurface. To do this I need a router, a bit to drill the 20mm holes (apparently they need to be 19.9mm to securely hold bench dogs? Oh lord) and a lot of patience to makes sure I drill the holes in the right place. Pretty sure it'll be making a lot of use of my straight edge.

Yeah looking good, I think you might have to put some feet/large rubber pads under the legs though as the rails are on the floor and I think you will have a job finding a bit of floor flat and level enough to stop it rocking. Ian

Yeah looking good, I think you might have to put some feet/large rubber pads under the legs though as the rails are on the floor and I think you will have a job finding a bit of floor flat and level enough to stop it rocking. Ian

It's going on castors :)

So today's work was to do the pocket holes on the leg cross rails, they're all done now. I've sanded the leg section and the outside of the base with 100 grit, will do it with a finer grit tomorrow and then I'll be putting a shellac finish on it once I've vacuumed the immense amount of sawdust out of the garage. I did try to sand out all the bandsaw marks but some are taking longer than others and I'll probably lose the will to live.

The base shelf is on, I cut it somewhat badly but then again I don't care cos 1) stuff will be on it, 2) it's only a shelf, and 3) it fits.

Getting quite excited at the prospect of actually finishing something more substantial than winding sticks (that I forgot to use).

I was forgetting it’s not a bench in the conventional sense, more a work table. OK, so castors, they will not be happy screwed into the edge of plywood, The screws may even split the legs of your work table, I think you may need to drill holes (Something like half inch) in the sides of the legs and put dowel in there for the screws from the castors to bite into.
This is a totally different situation but this is the sort of thing I mean.
BBC73269-D589-4B7B-ACBF-BB8DA64999E2.jpeg

I was forgetting it’s not a bench in the conventional sense, more a work table. OK, so castors, they will not be happy screwed into the edge of plywood, The screws may even split the legs of your work table, I think you may need to drill holes (Something like half inch) in the sides of the legs and put dowel in there for the screws from the castors to bite into.

Hmm yes I admit I hadn't put any thought into that. I could easily do the dowel solution though. I don't need to put the castors on straight away anyhow, so I can mull it over.

So my Valchromat arrived today. The "violet" is darker than I imagined although still a gorgeous colour and looks awesome next to the quite vivid blue. I'll get some photos tomorrow.

I'm glad I got it cut into 1205x605 so I have some leeway to mess up the mitre, I think I'll get a router bit to do that.

This is really making progress! You'll be playing building on it in no time!!

There's going to be a little hiatus as I need to clean the workshop up and make some room before I do much more. I'm going to get the router table to the same stage as the bench then do them both together.

Quick photo of the bench next to the router table.
41766D93-CAEC-4A8C-8302-BE3BBA8B5D6F.jpeg

I’m mulling over whether I really need to apply a finish to the ply, I’ve mixed up some shellac but I’m not sure it’s necessary. I’ll probably do it anyway as practice.

the castors are on, they’re good but there’s still a little bit of movement with force so I think I’ll end up making a bench with a vice etc that’s not mobile to do heavy grunt work. I’ll still make it so that the other benches can be used as extensions.

btw don’t be fooled that they look nice from a distance, close up they’re a car crash 😂
An ugly bench that works is better than no bench at all. Looks great from here!

Incidentally I hope your finishing is better than your boys was this evening!

Last edited:
Back