Workbench design choice..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Bain

Established Member
Reaction score
It’s time to build a new heavier work bench - my old Sjoberg one is too small, too light and has had years of use which has taken its toll (not abuse - but many of the joints are loose which could be fixed but the other problems remain).
I have a planer thicknesser (12 in) and definitely prefer the idea of a design that needs less hand planing (so no giant slab tops even if I could buy the timber).

After reading though the Schwarz books I know more than I could ever imagine about benches but an none the wiser which one to build. Too much choice. I am drawn to some of his modern takes on the French designs with laminated tops (but with a metal vice) as I like the ease of clamping from no aprons.
I don’t want to make a display piece from Purple Heart with fancy dovetails. It’s a workbench not an apprentice proof of skills demonstration. I do want to use the bench to hand cut dovetails on drawers etc.
I’d very much welcome any thoughts...especially considering the challenges of getting timber. I live in the Chiltern and every second tree seems to be a beech but as timber it seems hard to source!

The projects section on here is a good place to start, plenty of inspiration!

I want a really sturdy bench but I change my mind every other day about styles.

Yes either a split top or a well, mine has a 3“ x 12“ beech top which has been wonderful for the last eight years, from memory it was German steamed beech from my local yard, put over and through my planer thicknesser with very little effort on my part.
Are you looking at freestanding or fastened to the wall? Only you can decide on the type and style.
This is half of mine, it's L shaped.
45434F52-904F-4061-AB43-60F1FDF022F1.png

Design is personal to you and there are many styles and most will work but research well. Weight and sturdiness are fundamental coupled with how you want to hold/secure timber.

I built mine some years ago and have never regretted using 4 inch deep steamed beech for the top. My tip is to look at Paul Sellers building a pine work bench (Youtube) and listen to what he says - a worthy consideration, especially if cost is a big consideration.

I built mine with a split top and find it really helpful as I can put clamps in the split. I used the plans from here: https://www.fine-tools.com/pdf/roubo-hobelbank-bauplan-en.pdf I used decent quality pine 4x2s for the whole thing. It can be disassembled if I ever need to move house. It would be very difficult to move otherwise, I could just manhandle one top section on my own but couldn’t carry one far! You can buy the hardware, but I made my own barrel nuts and bought bolts off ebay. It is in regular use but still unfinished as I need to drill holes for holdfasts and in the home-made tail vice.

Attachments

• E02C52CF-6A1D-4A72-8AB5-640CA0B33E7D.jpeg
    E02C52CF-6A1D-4A72-8AB5-640CA0B33E7D.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 17
I'm planning on building a bench in the new year just as soon as my garage is extended next month. As soon as it's finished I will be buying a planer-thicknesser!
I too have read Chris Schwartz's books as well as Scott Landis' book. After much thought I have narrowed my design to a shaker style bench. The top will be 3-4" laminated beech. I had thought of a Roubo style with a leg vice but in the end I bought the biggest Axminster Trade quick release vice, which is sitting waiting to be installed. I'm currently on the lookout for a Veritas end vice, but they are like hens' teeth!
My rationale for going for a shaker style is that I would use the space under then bench for storage so I may as well make drawers to store things in some semblance of order. I went for a QR vice because leaning down to open/close the vice will probably do my aging back no favours.

With respect to handling large, heavy pices like a bench top, I have planned ahead and installed an electric hoist to help with any heavy lifting. I also have a hydraulic scissor lift designed for lifting up motorcycles which I bought for lifting/moving fermenters when I'm brewing beer.

As far as sourcing beech is concerned, I use Tyler Hardwoods near Marlborough. I'm not aware of any supply problems with (European) Beech, though I suppose that this could change due to the pandemic/Brexit.

Matt Estlea does a video series on making one - the compilation is Click Here. He also sells plans for his.
Benchcrafted also sell plans (UK and German suppliers sell them, too)

I know this because one of my 2021 projects will be a new bench, a split-top Roubo style. Probably with a leg vice and a tail vice. I'm going through the thought / design process at the moment and will draw one up in Fusion 360 before I make it.

I have looked at timber, briefly, and beech seems to be available at most places I've looked (I live in Lancashire) and not too expensive. I'm going to get rough sawn and machine it myself.

I think the english bench is hard to beat, I found out after experimenting that holdfasts and end vices are just not for me, the aprons on them might seem over the top but they add a lot of weight and stability, and if using redwood pine you might find it's not heavy enough for a roubo style bench, best to just make a decision and crack on, you'll never regret building a good workbench.

Back